sarah1234

My dream tank has finally arrived! 8x3x2

Finally, after all this time there was no rain for long enough for me to get my dream tank home and into my room.

8x3x2 made by Michael at Aquarium and Petland Southport, who I can't thank enough. Had about 9 people lined up to carry the thing, only 6 turned up but it was an easy and smooth lift (not that I can say anything I didn't carry it lol).

Made it off the ute around the corner and onto the stand with no damage.

Had to get into it, fishkeepers tradition. I didn't want to get out of it once i was in there! A new experience is all I can say. Enjoy the pics. Couldn't imagine a better view from my bed. (Pardon the socks I was as tired as hell by the time I got in there... who cares!)

IMG_9663-1.jpg

IMG_9664-1.jpg

IMG_9683.jpg

IMG_9694.jpg

nice sarah!

im subscribing to this thread! cant wait to see the finished product, stand is abit low though lol, but love the dimensions of the tank, its what i want!

Thats my dream dimensions im very jealous of your new baby looks killer!!!

Im guessing rays at 3 ft wide

Im currently stocking in my 6x2x2 three 14cm motoro rays, two ntt datinoids two indo datinoids and 2 geo tapa's.

Haha thanks everyone this will be a slow to fill and stock process. Will put pics up as I do bits and pieces. Fish going in are big ones and your pretty good guessers I'll leave it to your imaginations.

I know the stand is a bit low.. it was 2 tier originally and I had to chop the top half off. It was easy to put the tank on though. I can lie on my bed and be at perfect height with it for viewing. As for now I'm not looking at going bigger. If anything I would have reln ponds etc but thats way down the track as I don't have a shed etc. This is as big as I'm going for glass anyway. Any bigger and I think a custom build would be in order. Perhaps in the same fashion as Greenterras tank.

Sam I would love to see piccies of your dats. I would be thrilled to have one but don't love them enough to fork out what would be needed for a big specimine. Maybe one day.

Tomorrow will be washing and adding the rest of my sand (4 bags done 3 to go as I ran out of spare buckets). Then some big terracotta pots I bought recently for fishy cover. Been advised to make sure its 100% level before I fill it full so probably on monday I will do a small fill and measure. After that the full fill and filter transfer begins.. Any Q's let me know.

nice sarah!

im subscribing to this thread! cant wait to see the finished product, stand is abit low though lol, but love the dimensions of the tank, its what i want!

Of course the stand is a little low. It was Sarahs' bed frame untill this morning.

Nice looking tank Sarah. That should make a fine Betta grow out tank.

Edited by briztoon

Yeah I was thinking a few apistos and wild bettas? Some tetras maybe. Bed just fits considering I took the doors off my cupboard a long long time ago to make slightly more room for tanks. If it didn't fit (course I did a full scale model of my room in sketchup first) I would just have a hammock or sleep on a pool lounge on top of the thing. That would make room for umm... more tanks!

Nice!

man those suction cap handles are awesome.

Thinking of investing in a few for myself soon. Sick of people asking what all the bruises are from lol

Going to be a fair bit of weight, have you considered squares for under stand legs to prevent a tile cracking?

I am probably over worried, but dam I hate fixing tiles!

That is one sweet tank. My future tank except mine will be 2.5 tall. I will be checking in on this quite often to get pointers for sure. Can't wait to see the progress on this build. Hope it all goes to plan for you.

JP =)

Thanks for the comments everyone I can't take my eyes off this tank as of yet. Just in love with it. Wait till it's filled!

Personally I dislike lighting on tanks that don't need it for plants etc, as it uses up so much electricity. This tank will have a couple of 4ft lights on it, maybe on a timer but probably just turned on when I feel like it and turned off when I leave the room. Not planning on having them on all the time.

I know there is a risk of tiles cracking.. Not much I can or will do about it. If they crack, I'm not really fussed. Not a big issue. A tile's a tile. Plus who would be looking at the tiles when there is a freaken awesome tank right there??

Filtration.. well the tank will be sumped obviously. I'm a newbie when it comes to plumbing so will be getting allot of help. Got a 10 000 l/h pump for the tank, which will have a really big and nice wavemaker in there to provide lots of current to keep the fish happy. Might pop some internals in there initially but I find them as ugly as heck and wont keep them there for long. Wavemaker will do the job. Just bought it so its coming in the mail as we speak. It's a big bugger but I can't remember the size of it right now.

Jaypee I wish you luck with your tank! Personally I don't think any fish out there needs a tank higher than 2ft, but it does look nice!

Saved me allot of money staying with 2ft and I wouldn't think twice about it. Spose it depends on personal likes, I like it as big as the fish will be happy in, nothing more. Lets hope it looks even better with the sand and pots etc in there :D.

Thanks Greenterra it's as close as I'm getting to your tank.. for now.

Can anyone reccommend what I can do/use to paint the back black? Strangely enough people don't seem too keen to come help move the thing here, let me paint it then come over to move it again, so I'm reduced to doing it in my room. I can sleep in another room for a night or two but my fish can't. I can open doors window etc but still the rest of the fish are in the room. Don't want them going belly up from chemicals in the air. Would it be ok with good airation in the room or is there a certain product that emmits no chemicals into the air etc?

I always just used flat black enamel spray paints but that would require moving the tank out and taping it up. If you have enough room behind the tank, maybe you could try a latex type paint and roll it on. Next option would be to hang black material behind it.

Plenty of room behind the tank for that. Just have to jump through the window lol but not a bother. I did think black fabric as an option, ruffled like a stage curtain perhaps. Just a matter of seeing what works and what would look best. Might look at some none-chemical emmitting paint and having the doors and window wide open with the fan on. maybe covering my tanks? Only three in the room with it right now.

I'm only going 2.5 for Walters' benifit (and it's still down the track a bit still buttering the missus up for an extension on my rack=). Every step of your will look better and better. It will look great once you've got the sand in there. What size are your outlets and how many are there ??

Edited by JayPee

great tank! I recently painted the back of my 8x2x2 black, easiest and quickest way is with a roller and matt black as mentioned above.

now the fun begins :D

Edited by ash
speeeling mistak

I bet Walter is going to absolutely love it jaypee. There are 4 outlet holes all up (again I don't know much about plumbing going by the guidance of more experienced people with this one). I will measure them exactly for you I ordered it so long ago I forget how big the holes were!

Should be plenty of flow in and out of those things. I'm pretty sure its 3 outlets one inlet or something like that (again I may be wrong).

Ash it's shaping to be a mission and a half. I don't want to stuff the paintjob up! Already got some matte black paint here (1L) so if/when I run out I will go get more. How much do ya reckon for that size panel? See how I go anyway. Most likely start off with sand tomorrow and that will probably take a looooooong time as it is. Don't want to start painting and it not dry by nighttime! Most likely will do a coat each morning for a few days and if it dries fast maybe 2 coats a day?

Why must I sleep? I want to work on my tank!

le_fish I would LOVE your RTG but after buying the tank and other things I'm not so well off anymore! Shame though it's a stunning piece and I know my aros. Do you know if its a male or female?

Sarah i would so use black vynil on the back. You dont need much room to put it on. so long as you can fit behind the tank you should be right. No over spray to worry about and no moving the tank again and again. Soapy water in a squirty bottle a flat sqeedy and a sharp blade to trim the excess is all you need. I have done this on all my tanks and some for other people. Personally i think it looks better than painting. But each to their own i guess. =)

Thanks for the advice Jaypee :D. Tomorrow morn I will wash the rest of my sand (joy of joys) and get the substrate in (LOVE sand). If I have a fair whack of time after that I will have a little go at painting. Should look killer just with sand in it for a start. I've put a 4ft light on there so I can watch it in bed for awhile lol.

Going to stare a little before I sleep. Put my aro plush in there cause I can. Looks cute. Will put pics up tomorrow of sand and such for everyone. Same tank, with sand! wow!