sarah1234

My dream tank has finally arrived! 8x3x2

doesn't matter what keep , because your tanks so large and in a strange location we all want to know because of that. not because we would steal fish. stealing fish is lame and if i didn't like someone thats the last thing i would do to them lol!

(injecting cycle into my filters as much as I could without overdoing it)

Cycle is one of the most useless products out there. I have found it to be of NO benefit whatsoever. I have tried it several times over the years and had it fail everytime. considering it is made by hagen (well thats what it says on the bottle in front of me) the same company who i m sure makes Fluval Filters is very disappointing.

the best products (with noticable results within 24-48hrs from cycling a tank in from scratch) that I have used are Seachem Stability and Aquasonic Bioculture, these 2 have never let me down.

I too have freaked out @ blackouts... i once stood at my tank for 4 hours pumping air into it via a air-bed mattress pump (the manual hand held type) I have since learned to do the following, and havent lost a fish yet.

here is what i do

1. remove your biological media (ceramic rings, bio balls, matrix,etc) from your canisters/sumps, etc and float it in the tank in mesh bags, this will help keep the bacterias alive, run a battery powered air pump under the bag so the air bubbles help water pass thru the media so the bacterias stay oxygenated. (when the o2 levels drop

(for a tank that size several air powered pumps may be necessary to help aerate the rest of the tank)....... a battery powered air pump cost me about $10 and 2x D size batteries can run over 24hrs without losing efficiency.

much cheaper than a generator when you think about the oil + petrol/deisel/lpg (whichever is applicable) + the services they require every X number of hours of operation

2. do a gravel vac and a water change to minimize the organic waste products in the tank. also clean out the mechanical filtration (sponges, foam, etc) from your filter/sump.

Hi Simmo thanks heaps for the detailed advice! Not sure if it is he cycle or other reasons but the filters seem to be recovering like mad. Water parameters are almost back to perfect, which I am thrilled with. I must be lucky, because the cycle seems to be working for me! Will buy stability the next time I need something like it. Whatever the reason, I'm glad the filters are recovering, and that the parameters are stabilising (not that they spiked much at all anyway). The stock is as happy as it was before the blackout, so thats great.

I will look into getting some new battery powered air pumps, I had two but they were crummy and died after a few uses. The generator was worth its weight in gold, even if it did use allot of petrol, as it helped the stock deal with the parameter change even if the filters were dead and gone by the time I got it working. Will definately take your advice next time there is a blackout.

And all of you stop using reverse psychology to try to get pics out of me!

hmmmmm..... okay Sarah, please don't bother posting any photos of your fishies, cos nobody here wants to see them, so.... ummm... yeah, don't bother posting any...

(didn't feel any twinges?) :)

cycle is a gr8 little product as most of them are, the readings on sarahs tanks were awesome, seeing how the power was off for nearly 20 odd hours, we put alittle plan in place, and a recovery plan, and worked a treat, the cycle product was perfect and worked as it should have, the tanks recovery to the figures given to me about 5 minutes ago are fantastic, and tank is on its way n powering along.

The generator is coming, and it is a fantastic little unit, i dun use it anymore so will be a little security blanket, battery op air pumps etc are all good investments,

few other little things were done along the way and happy to say the inhabitants came through as good as gold :)

see u tomozzzzzzz, once Renae works out wat she is doin hehe,,,,,,

Nigel

how the hell are u matey, hope all is goin well :)

Naww Brizzy I'm sorry. I can take you some pictures of my massivore bag or my wavemaker, or my test kits if that tickles your fancy.

My piece de resistance comes tonight at 8pm, so damn exited it's not funny. If ya nice to me I might let you see her Briz. Only cause I likes ya, and you gotta be nice :D . Maybe.

Haha would love that but imagine the cost of lighting and CO2!

If I was going to be doing something along the expensive lighting and gear line I would do a massive marine reef! Maybe one day. Can see an emperor angel cruising the tank (or something even better!).

Well the sump is still being sourced by my sump expert buddy, we've been stuffed around by a fair few people so fingers crossed the next person comes through.

I do love melos as far as lake tangs, gorgeous fish. and furcifers.

sump is on its way 7 days or so i will pick it up :P, i must admit stuffed around buy a cpl of old mates really disappointing but it happens. (No one on this forum) thankfully, So the plumbing shall begin soon enough, fun times will be awesome to get the big lump all plumbed n pumping :)

So exited my first sump. Gunna look so good. The entire setting up of a sump is so much simpler than I ever thought it would be. I'm sure after ray has shown me how to do it in person I could even set one up myself :D . Bye bye ugly internal filters.

blub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blub blub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blubblub blub slurpalurppalurpa blub blub blub...............................................................................

nah sure it'll will tame down nicely.

There never was a sump built that couldnt be tweaked to a nice pur