WhoWeR

Moving birchardi and bubs

We need to move our breeding birchardi. They currently have two lots of bubs with them. The youngest have only been out a week.

Is it safe to move the bubs with the parents?

Unfortunately it will different water but we will do our best to match the parameters before the move, and will acclimatise them slowly. On the up side they will be getting a much bigger tank.

Thanks

Jenny

When i moved mine i put them all in the same bag (bubs and parents) i found when they went into the new tank only some of the larger ones stayed in the family unit as the parents were a bit scattered and the youngest got eaten by the other fish in the tank. :cry:

Once they settled in though they started breading again within a week :lol:

If i were to do it again i would make sure they were the first ones in the tank and try to let them settle in as much as possible.

it will be extremely diff to move the colony without loss the juves will prob disappear

best chance is to seperate the young and grow them up seperately and MAYBE re introduce when they are a bit bigger

the other alternative is to shift em on mass and take your luck

peter

Thanks for the replies

I moved them today. I put the pair and their bubs all together in a bucket and introduced them to the tank. All seems to be going well at the moment. The parents have rounded up all the bubs in front of their old rock (brought over from the other tank). They are letting the older ones explore, while they keep an eye on the little ones and take turns exploring themselves.

I tell you catching little week old free swimming birchardi is not easy. :lol:

It's all looking good at the moment, so hopefully the bubs cope with the tank change. I'm sure the parent will be much happier with the new tank, 3x2x18, in comparison to their little 2 foot.

(I just looked over and the parents are already rearranging the tank)

Jenny

Yeah it's not something I wish to do again in a hurry. It's was fun trying to catch all the little fry. Syphoning was easier but they are fast little buggers.

I think nearly all the fry have survived and are growing fast. The parents haven't laid again yet. I don't know if it's from the move or they have enough bubs for now. Time will tell.