Hey all,

I read somewhere that carbon needs to be replaced after a certain period of time because the way it affects the water changes from good to bad.

Firstly, is this true?

and Secondly, what is the timeframe in which it should be changed.

Thanks,

Trent

Yes it's true Carbon has a lifespan. It is good for removing chemicals, tanins and other stuff from your water by binding it to the carbon molecule. After the carbon is full it will slowly release the chemicals back... i'm not sure on the whole process.

As for the lifespan of carbon, that really depends on the type, amount in use and load of the tank. There is a lot of different sorts out there, some better than others. I think coconut carbon was the best(?). There are also some that are of no use in aquariums. I don't know how to judge how long before you replace it. Maybe someone else would have a better idea.

There is a lot of info on the net about Carbon and a lot of debate over the usefulness of it in aquariums. It's an interesting read if that's your thing. I did a lot of reading but because it wasn't that interesting to me half of it went in and out again.

Well I don't know if that was helpful but anyway.

Jenny

Carbon lasts around 4 weeks though I have read that 90% of it usefulness is gone in the first 48 hours

Its great for removing toxins in your water

I have also read that it will leech the toxins back into the water but I have read alot of reports that say otherwise

I know of a few people that havent changed the carbon ever and suddenly they are having major problems which stopped after they removed the old carbon I am talking months here though

I used to use it on the grass at a golf course after we found someone had sprayed the greens

Layer of Carbon and dose it with water and we got it out b4 to much damage

Brad

Carbon.....great for removing toxins....and useful nutrients.

I'd only use it on a tank that has been medicated......to remove medication once fish are healthy.

Personally.....can't see the value to use it full time.....unnecessary in an established cycled tank???

How often you change your carbon would be dependent on the amount of organic load in your tank and how good the carbon is (4wks if cheap or up to maybe 8 wks if it's very good). Probably far better off using something like Purigen instead of carbon and doing regular water changes. The product does an extremely good job of clarifying water and doesn't leach anything back into the water. It can be regenerated several times, so won't really work out much more expensive if at all. You can also still medicate with Seachem stressguard and it won't foul the purigen.

stephen