Dumpie

Growth Of Algie

how do i speed up the growth of algie so my bristle noses have more food im currently putting a bit of zucchinni in the tank about 2 times a week thay dont eat half as much as wat they should or could and on top of that putting algie pluss waffers in for them they eat the waffers and have a little nibble on zucchinni but i think they preferr the real thing any pointers to help me with my predicament

im currently putting a bit of zucchinni in the tank about 2 times a week thay dont eat half as much as wat they should

How do you know how much they "should" be eating? If they are eating algae wafers then perhaps they are sick of zucchini? What about pumpkin? If you want growth you need higher protein levels in their diet such as sinking cichlid pellets. Fast growth often means reduced lifespan though ....

Anyway to answer your question, for some newborn finicky algae eaters I culture freshwater algae on 25cm x2cm x2cm sequentially numbered hardwood sticks. Drill one end and put in a wire hook so it is easy to hang. For the algae culture tank I use 2L open plastic softdrink bottles with a good pinch of liquid fertiliser, add your hardwood sticks and leave in the direct sun to go bright green. I start a new softdrink bottle each day (staggered) and once the sticks get established, it only takes 10-12 days for a decent amount of algae. Each day I harvest the sticks that are ready and hang in the fry tanks via hooks. I am just swapping old sticks for new so I return the eaten sticks to a new fresh culture to restart the cycle. If you want fresh algae each day then you will need 10-12 cultures (a new one started each day) so number your bottles too. If you have lots and lots of fry tanks then simply start more cultures a day although I get 6 sticks to a 2L bottle and only I use fresh algae through the weaning stage of some of the more difficult species.

The algae like all live food culture will crash if not harvested at optimum time. Cleanliness and fresh cultures each time are important to avoid population and nutrition crashes although you can seed up a new culture with a splash of the old one once you have an algae strain you particularly like. Just play around till your happy with your algae production however, in your situation I would just use some sinking cichlid pellets.

yeah i dont want to shorten there life in any way but i no that leavuing the lights on all day help i might have to get a growth light and put that one in with mysuper light 10,000 K light just take one out and put the growth light in

If I was you I'd just let your tank take it's natural course.

If you go trying to encourage algal growth you may end up with too much and then be worried about keeping it under control. The bristlenose will only eat what they need and won't necessarily keep your tank lovely and spotless if they have plenty of food. From experience I've found there's really no need to keep the food up to my bristlenose as they find plenty regardless. Mine will eat the missed cichlid pellets that fall to the bottom if they can, everytime.

The 5 juvies in my spotless cichlid fry tank grew from 2cm to 5cm over a 4-5 month period. They just get plenty of scraps (of Veggie Flake) from the fry feedings twice a day.

Be better to just leave it be in my opinion.

ok ive bein leaving my light on heaps and its happening again its growing like crazy which is bad making all my plnats look bad so ill just put the light on when i get home of an afternoon and leave the b/ns go