Bio Media for External Canister Filters

What Bio Media do you use for External Canister Filters  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What Bio Media do you use for External Canister Filters

• Ceramic Noodles
    • Bio Balls
    • Just use Course Sponge or wool
    • Other Media

What Bio Media do you use for External Canister Filters?

I've been told ceramic is the best suited, as plastic Bio Balls are more suited to Wet Dry Sump or trickle filters.

Or is the simple sponge the best option?

If you use other media, please add comments as to what you use and why.

(Sorry, for some reason the poll I created wouldn't accept a 4th option for "Other media" :evil: )

Or simply add a comment anyway, would love to hear how people set their filters up.

cheers,

Brad

Yes, gotta get me some of that Purigen. I've been told it's fantatsic for getting the water to crystal clear.

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Purigen.html

Seachem Matrix, I wonder if's like a volcanic rock or something? I've seen it before, looks like porous pebbles:

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Matrix.html

Pity the Seachem stuff is so damn expensive. On the other hand, if it does a good job, plus they even tell you how to regenerate the Purigen on their own website!

Yeah that purigen stuff is magic, i have a bag in all 3 of my displays. I also have matrix (which is also really worth the money) and ceramic noodles meticulously layed in there (it takes me about 2 hrs to fill a basket to fit as many as i can in there).

I also use some volcanic lava rocks, not sure what they are actually called but they are little red rocks that have divots and pockets all throug it. I think its better than noodles, and it's the cheapest option, about 15 bucks for about a kilo and a half.

554238257_907520fce1.jpg?v=0

ARGH the image link wont work so i guess just copy and paste the address to see what i mean.

Cheers,

Rusty

Im with george,

I use matrix in all my filters including powerhead filters too with course filter wool.

Bio balls are no good, they just break to easy i find.

Im still trying to hook up my trickle filter which uses purigen for my six footer.I do use noodles as well, they work ok for wat they are but nothing matches matrix and purigen.

Plus i have bags of purigen in all my tanks too.

Its worth its money coz it lasts a really long time especially if you keep regenerating it.

I think there is nothing out there that can beat it.....

Dave

I use ceramic noodles, glass noodles, plastic bio-balls, plastic bio-cubes & matrix in my external canisters (resun ae808 & aqua-one 1250) & my sump. more the merrier i say :D

matrix looks like pumicestone to me... so a while back i got my bro who lives near pumicestone passage to gather me up some... washed all the salt out & put that in my sump too. i have no idea if it is the same as matrix or even effective as bio-material though... coz how would you actually tell if the right bacteria is growing in it?

especially when my tank is so over-filtered... i have never seen any trace of ammonia or nitrite & i test my water weekly.

Bio balls are no good, they just break to easy i find.

Depends what sort you're using, of got the easily broken ones in my sump at the moment, but Russ from Redlands Pet Centre has some in that are very tough and flexible so I want to get some of them.

Its good to see across the board we all use sum sort of seachem product in our filters.When i first purchased sum matrix a long time ago, i thought i could have got the same result cheaper in another brand but i didn't find any and have never looked back since.

Wonder if they on the sharemarket???

Dave

A Purigen question.

Most say they have a "small bag" of it in their cannister.

Is that sufficient just being there or should it be spread right across the basket so all the water must pass through it to effectively polish the water? Will it work well with the water passing by?

And if it covers the total area of the basket is it likely to clog sooner?

I would have thought it important to have all the water having to pass through it and was thinking of putting an inline filter (similar to a fuel filter) on the cannister's return pipe.

Obviously the method and cannister shape would determine the amount needed.

Maybe? :notsure:

Having all water pass through it is good, but it shouldn't be getting clogged at all. I've got mine sitting right before the impeller in my Canisters so that most water is forced to pass through it, all physical particles have already been filtered out by everything else.

I am a big Matrix fan and we use heaps of it in our filtration systems, however we have recently been testing a similar product made by JBL called JBL MicroMec.

http://www.jbl.de/factmanager/index.php?lang=en

This product is also a bit cheaper than Matrix. The only downside is that it only comes in 1ltr boxes. This is suitable for canister filters and hang ons, but when it comes to trickle filters Matrix being available in larger amounts may be more economical.

We have several forum members trialling it at the moment and feedback has been excellent.

Russ

I am a big Matrix fan and we use heaps of it in our filtration systems, however we have recently been testing a similar product made by JBL called JBL MicroMec.

http://www.jbl.de/factmanager/index.php?lang=en

This product is also a bit cheaper than Matrix. The only downside is that it only comes in 1ltr boxes. This is suitable for canister filters and hang ons, but when it comes to trickle filters Matrix being available in larger amounts may be more economical.

We have several forum members trialling it at the moment and feedback has been excellent.

Russ

Yep, Russ recommended the MicroMec to me.

Statistic wise, the MicroMec has 2.5 times the surface area per litre of Matrix, but I guess that should be taken with a grain of salt. Its also nice as its not as coarse/harsh as matrix and is easier to use on hang ons and internals.