bmxican

Cyphotilapia Frontosa Ikola "Lightning Blue"

Hey there,

Heres a few pics of my ikola frontosa colony, i will update this thread regularly so we can all see their progress.

Heres the 2 males when i first got them in april last year, they are around 7cm in this pic and roughly 4-5months old. There were also 2 girls in there but they wouldnt come out for the photo..

6ft008.jpg

6ft007.jpg

Then i was addicted, a few weeks later i got another 3 girls from doug. Once they settled in i took this pic, it was taken in august 07 the 2 dominant males are around 9 months old they range between 6-9cm

ikolafrontosa002.jpg

Heres the dominant male 1 month later hes 14cm and starting to look alot bluer.. September 07 about 10 months old.

mrP.jpg

400dfishpics008.jpg

Another one of the alpha male 1 month later. Oct 07

ikola2-c.jpg

And this is the sub-dominant male the same day.

ikola1-c.jpg

Alpha male Nov 07. 15cm and looking awesome now

mrP-2.jpg

Sub dominant male the same day.

fronson.jpg

Alpha male- Feb 08 around 17cm

frontosaWEB001.jpg

Alpha male- Mar 08

frontosaWEB.jpg

The dominant male has gone really dark in the last few months and the sub dominant has really coloured up, Heres a pic of the alpha male- April 08 there are now 10 in the colony from 6cm- 18cm

MrPWEB.jpg

Sub dominant male the same day hes 18cm now and getting alot bluer

fronsonWEB.jpg

and one of the girls at about 12-13cm

Female-ikola-fronnyWEB.jpg

Thats all i have for now but i will keep it updated

Thanks for looking!

I feed them a range of different foods including- nls cichlid formula and nls large fish formula, osi spirulina flake, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, any deformed or reject fry from my fry tanks, yabbies that i pump down the river, small peices of fresh fish whenever i catch some, and live glass shrimp that i collect myself from the salt water. They rarely ever get the same thing 2 nights in a row.

I think the dominant males in most species go really dark as they mature, some species get to the point of turning almost black. i have seen a fair few fully black 7 bar kigoma male fronts. My alpha male has coloured up even more in the past few months but i havent had a chance to get a pic, when he comes out from his cave hes a dark navy blue colour sometimes you cant even make out his bars but once he swims over the gravel where its brighter he gets his bars back and lightens up.

Thanks Dumpie & Wolften,

Nice Wolften show us some pics when ya get them. Where are you getting them from?

& Thanks again for offering Dump but until the last stand is made i have no space left for any more tanks i am getting 2 more this arvo which will only just fit in... if you have nothing to do you can come around if ya want but yeah just no room for tanks.

cheers.

lol my rage builds up everytime you post up a new picture...

if i have a big enough tank by the time you got fronny babys i think ill catch the fronny buzz

lol dam u mick making me want fish i shouldnt have haha