arkibe

Reccomend me an external filter!!

I'm looking at buyin a new filter for my 4 foot tank (around 180litres). Its been set up with my african cichlids going on 6 years now. Ive always had an internal power head filter for filtration but its starting to shit itself. Im looking at an external filter coz they dont clog the look of the tank and i hear theyre priddy good. There is so many to choose from. Which is the best? Been looking at Fluval, Rena, Blue Planet and Aleas brands. Tell me which one to get

Fluval fx5 would knock the fish senseless if it's only 180 litres. Aqua one, Fluval, and otto all do reasonably priced/correct sized for that tank. Speak to russ at redland pets for a deal.

Edited by bidkev

spend the extra and either get a, Fluval or eheim, you will never look back.

My choice would be the Fluval 405 or the 305. Or if Eheim I'd go the 2215 or the 2217.

I use a Fluval 305 on my 265liter tank along with an internal. keeps it Insanely clear and is a reliable filter. Prob dont even need the internal as well but have it for extra aeration/bio mainly because its a lil over stocked because of the fish's size in the tank.

Next choice if money is an issue would be an aqua-one 1200L/pH or atleast a 1000 l/ph one minimum.

I would not rec commend any other brands as i haven't used them. Otto's are now made in Taiwan not germany and a lot leak. therefore i do not recommend this brand either no more.

Hope that helps mate.

IMO a fluval 305 is perfect and will way exceed your requirements, thats what i used on my 55 gallon (205 lts ) and is currently on my 100 gallon along with a Fluval 4 + internal untill i get a sump up an running.

Water is crystal clear and tests perfect every time.

Maybe go a 405 if your thinking of upgrading in the future.

Dont wanna take anything away from Ehiem, i believe there a bloody good filter, jus dont have any experience with em personally.

Outside o those 2 brands, i wouldn't bother. But....... Thats just me.

Brendan

fluval 405. Great filters and spare parts are cheap and easy to get hold of.

Eheims WERE the best filters on the market however they are now made in Asia and the build quality reflects this!

Mybe look for a 5-10 year old used eheim 2028 on ebay or a local aquarium store upgrading display filters. They were one of the best filters made!

go the sump. Easier to maintain and if you think it out properly and source your materials it can work out cheaper than a cannister filter. Having said that though, if you are sold on a cannister filter, Eheim you pay for the name. They are expensive. I have a 1000l/h pro aqua which works ok but I wouldn't use it in anything bigger than a 3 foot tank. Pro aqua have 2200l/h which would probably filter your tank ok but pro aqua are cheap. Fluval on the other hand are excellent quality and very sort after cannister filters - in my opinion and from what i have been told - you could do a lot worse and I was in fact going to buy a fluval FX5 but decided to go down the sump road.

So if its a cannister - Fluval = value for money - you'd be well looked after at Redlands Pet Centre on gear like that and they are right near you at Capalaba. And don't forget to tell them you are a member of this forum.

Fluval fx5 would knock the fish senseless if it's only 180 litres. Aqua one, Fluval, and otto all do reasonably priced/correct sized for that tank. Speak to russ at redland pets for a deal.
I agree, an fx5 would be over kill.Try the 405 model i rekon. 3 year warranty on fluvals to.

Agree, flowing rate too high for 180L tank

Wow!! Thanks everyone for your help. I'll get either fluval 305 ($249) or 405 ($299) me thinx. Thanks again all

For the same price I would go for Eheim 2217 because comsump less energy.

At the end of the day cannister filters do the same thing - hold your media.

get a half decent quality one and fill it with the best quality media you can find.

whats in the cannister is infinitely more important than who makes it.

Cav

Go to the closest sponsor. My geography of the southside is limited - it may be that Redlands Pet Centre is closest in which case you will certainly be in good hands. Tell them your requirements and some of the good advice you've already received in the posts above, then take it from there.

Regards

Peter

Yeh ill pop down to redlands pet centre and mention this forum on friday, which is also coincidentally enough, pay day :) Ill flip a coin as to whether its an eheim or a fluval. Both seem pretty good same as that one on age of aquariums. My fishies will be stoked either way

Edited by arkibe