tmd77

Very confused

Ok so i've got one hell of a confusing maingano. when i bought "him" i was under the assumption that it was a male, had the dark stomach, behaviour was like a male etc etc. recently it had started to get what i believed was bloat, so i had almost finished setting up a special tank for it when i looked in the tank and there "he", or should i say she, was with a mouhtful :S

this happened about 3 days ago. been feeding normally and she has been doing the usual thing; swimming u to the food looking like she was going to eat it and ten realising she couldnt and swimming away. Except for just now. I fed the fish, she swam up to the first bit and ate it, then i saw her eat 2 more bits. meanwhile im cursing myself for not removing her earlier and putting her in the "mothers" tank. half an hour later i look at her... shes still holding? and i can still see her tumbling eggs in her mouth?

is this normal? or have i jsut got one hell of a smart girl? anyone else experienced this? did you find that they held full term?

Cheers,

Trent

i have a few females that will still eat and have held the whole way, one i didnt even notice had had a mouthful till i cleaned the tank and seen the fry hiding for their lives in amoungst the rocks, i watched one of my acei spit the eggs out come eat 1 or 2 pellets and go back and pick up the eggs, i thought that was pretty weird, but on that batch i only got about 9 fry...

strange things do happen...

so have you pulled her from that tank or you going to leave her in there??

probably going to pull her... its in my display tank so sometime this week when i can be bothered pulling all the rocks out... she'll go in a DIY frysaver in the fry tank for the next 2 weeks

i just thought it was interesting and quite incredible that they can still eat without swallowing the eggs