I have never seen them in action but considered putting them in the tank that i was going to design and make and i had put 2 strips of class like 5mm apart so the lids could slide one ontop of each other, but that was just my interpretation of it. Perhaps someone with them could give us a hand

they run on a small plastic channel mostly, some juss use a dual plate of glass n run that, effectively the front is higher than the back n juss slides over :) HTH's ya hungry little hipppo!!!!!!!!!!!!

no

Depending on the size of your tank. Large tanks eg 4 foot and over will have supports so the back piece of glass will sit on the support while a runner is siliconed to the bottom of the supports which is where your sliding lid sits.

For smaller tanks where are no supports, you'll find at each end will be 2 thin pieces of glass, one siliconed on the bottom of the other so the stationary piece (back piece) sits on the top and the sliding piece (front piece) sits on the bottom

Hope i've explained it well enough

Picture tells a thousand words :)

sliddinglids.jpg

You will find that the rear lid will actually be on the lower level, so the front lid can slide over the top and also be removed without interfering with the back piece.

most of the time there will be about 30mm over lap of the 2 lids.

As for larger tanks, it basically the same principle eg. 4ft tank with brace down the center will just have 4 peice's of glass, 2 on one side of brace and 2 for the other ..:) lol

Note: these are AquaFX 24x16x16 so not a random build.

HTH

Ta Luke

Edited by FIIK
Large Tank info

Mine is the same basic setup as yours FIIK, but has those pooncy black plastic guides to allow the glass to sit and slide smoooooothly :)

I have to say I love the sliding lids.

Mine is the same basic setup as yours FIIK, but has those pooncy black plastic guides to allow the glass to sit and slide smoooooothly :)

I have to say I love the sliding lids.

Speaking of that plastic strip... does anyone know where to buy it? Been chasing some for a while now but not having any luck...

I've got it on two of the three sections on my tank and really want some for the third section.