HamzaLH

What would you do? Moral Question about Selling ...

I posted a female Alto comp for sale around the end of April ... I got a pm from a member who was interested ... He was also interested in something else that i had for sale at the time, so i advised him that i would let him know once i had the other item at home so he could collect at the same time ... I sent him a pm a day or two later and had no response ... I placed the fish on hold (telling other interested members that she was sold) ... I have attempted to contact this member via 3 or 4 pms on this forum and 3 or 4 on the other as well as 2 phone calls, but with no luck ...

Now the fish has bred with one of the males and i wish to sell her AND the male as a pair. Coincidently 15 minutes after i put the pair for sale i got a pm saying that he still wants the fish and apologises because he was interstate. This is understandable, BUT he was replying to other posts AND posting his own items for sale while he was too busy to reply to my pms ...

I am unsure what to do ... I dont mind selling the female seperately, but i think they are worth more as a pair than individually ...

Should i still sell to him @ the price / swap arrange earlier or should i disregard earlier dealings and start the sale as a new pair?

This is not an "attack" or dig at the other member, i just want to know what others think ...

Thanks

Hamza

That's a hard one. I hate situations like this, it puts me off selling. Me, I would say too late. If you made numerous attempts to contact him earlier and he didn't reply and he was active on the forum at the same time, then he misses out. I don't think that it's fair on you holding a fish indefinitely until someone feels like getting around to doing something. If he made no contact until you re-posted the fish, then that's his/her loss. If they have time to reply on posts then they have the time to reply to PM's.

Offer them the pair at the new price.

Just my opinion.

Jenny

yah unfortunately i had similar story as u hamza.

someone in here ask me to hold 3 fish for a week, at the same time someone else is in my house buying my other fish, he offered me to buy them while he was here, but i said someone elses wanted me to hold them for a week waiting for his tank to cycle...

a week passed, and two, and three, sent him a couple of pm's .. alas. i advertised them on petlink and theyre gone in minutes..

such is life :(

I offered him the pair @ a reduced price to do the right thing by him as well ...

Thats the fairest thing i reckon. Give him first dibs at the pair and if he doesn't want them then put them up for sale...

in all honesty

you have no obligation to the buyer you were nice enough to hold for a while he didnt contact you and the fish have paired up and yes a breeding pair is worth more

you did the right thing by offering them to him at a reduced price there are only 2 questions in this topic

1. did he let you know that he was going away and ask you to hold the fish for a defined period if he did then you should sell it to him

2. as you said did he maintain contact and keep you informed doesnt sound like it why should you have to chase him to buy your fish

it is unfortunate but he dicked you around not much you can do about it

youve dont nothing wrong providing he didnt ask you to hold the fish for a specified time

peter

He didnt mention he was going to be away ... He did say in his last pm that he had no missed calls or sms's (i didnt sms, maybe i should have, but i did try everything else)

The most annoying thing is he was active on the forums, but not active enough to reply to a pm and say "yes i still want her, but not for another week or 2" ...

Hamza

ditto, to everything smiley said above. You have no obligation to sell to him at all. If you made attempts to contact him via pm and he ignored them it is fair indication he no longer wanted the fish at that time. Did the pm's you sent move from your Outbox to your Sent box? If so, it means the pm's were received and read (I think that's the way it works).

I try to be too nice sometimes, as I think you have been more than nice here Hazma, and I've once or twice been bitten by buyers who are just stuffing me around.

Recently I almost got bitten by someone expressing interest in a fish I had for sale, but I told to confirm their willingness to purchase before a certain deadline (me making a trip to the LFS to sell other fish the next day). They didn't respond, I emailed and PM'd them several times then text them just before I left for the LFS, but got no response. I even offered to drop the fish off to them the next day. But no response.

To my dismay they had posted on something unrelated that same afternoon! So they obviously didn't give a stuff about my requirements and were quite comfortable with themselves in not bothering responding and keeping me hanging. :evil: All they had to do was let me know they were no longer interested, but they weren't bothered to even do that!!

The way I see it, you can only do so much to help people out. Unfortunately it's a fact of life there are some people who have total disregard for your own situation, and what's worse they sometimes get upset when you proceed without them.

id say that if you give a proposed buyer a reasonable chance to contact you back and they fail to do so then you have every right to sell the goods to another buyer, fair is fair, but giving them the oppertunity to buy them as the pair first would be a good way to go on this one,

a "safe traders" section would be a good idea so that everyone has a fair chance but on the flip side it may cause more trouble and start personal 'attacks' at people

paul

I don't like Holding fish.....period

I have in the past and lucky enough everybody has showed up as discussed and haven't stuffed me around. Shervin asked me to hold for a week and picked them up the next day 8O which was great.

I agree hold for a period that is reasonable then sell em to next person in line. It's kind of like ebay, pay within 7 days or miss out.

Just my opinion

I would sell as a pair personally.

Matt

I have also been stuffed around by many members here and somewhere else and they will not even have the courtesy to let me know.

What I do is black-listed them and will not deal with them again. :lol::lol:

I posted a female Alto comp for sale around the end of April ... I got a pm from a member who was interested ... He was also interested in something else that i had for sale at the time, so i advised him that i would let him know once i had the other item at home so he could collect at the same time ... I sent him a pm a day or two later and had no response ... I placed the fish on hold (telling other interested members that she was sold) ... I have attempted to contact this member via 3 or 4 pms on this forum and 3 or 4 on the other as well as 2 phone calls, but with no luck ...

Hi Hamza

Did you ever get back to me? You sounded keen in my fish, even send you a pic about that particular fish you queried about. You never answered my follow up email I hope that makes you think.

Cheers

Ziggy

Ziggy,

I did request a picture of the Fire Fin comps ... You were kind enough to send it very promptly, I then replied to that email the same day with the following:

Ziggy, Thanks for the picture, i will have to give it a miss, i am no longer coming up your way as planned, however i will keep it in mind if i am up that way at a later date, Thanks again for the quick reply. Hamza

So for the record, I did reply to your email (the same day it was sent). And to further clarify, I never committed to buying any fish, i simply asked to view a picture ... Is that a commitment to buy?

I haven't mentioned any names here because i don't want to "rubbish" anyones name, If u had a problem with me you should have emailed or pm'd me ...

I look forward to your reply

Hamza