japes

New QLDAF Design + Chat (Feedback Here Please!)

Hey guys, as you can obviously see the new forums and such are active. I launched them early because the old ones were down and we know how much you all have withdrawals (Chat is in the top left!), so I got them up as soon as possible. All that's missing currently is the Photo Gallery, which I'll be sorting out as soon as possible.

If you run into any bugs, have any suggestions or comments, please send myself or Grumundi a PM, or even better, leave a message here.

It's possible that there will be bugs as it was quite a quick launch, please bare with us.

If any of the Sponsors have a problem with the smaller slightly redone images, please shoot me a private message.

Cheers, feel free to use this as a feedback thread.

Ryan.

EDIT --

Changes Made

06/06/2008

- Darkened Images (Default Theme)

- More differentiation between read and unread threads/posts (Default Theme)

- Fixed a couple of bugs (Still working on the 1970 one)

- Quickly added the default template which much more vivid colours like the old boards. (Edit this by going to your Control Panel > Board Preferences > Global Settings (Default) and Change your Board Style to "Brighter Blue".)

- Added WetPetz Banner

07/06/2008

- New Imagery for Default Theme

- Added a more themed version for those who want more vivid blues called "Hestia Blue", replacing the "Brighter Blues" theme which was the phpBB3 standard package theme.

- Removed Underlining of MouseOvers on Topics from Default Theme (It's half necessary in Hestia Blue)

- Removed list of Moderators for each forum on the main page - unnecessary.

- Added a cap that only allows users to edit their posts for 15 minutes after replying or creating a thread. If you especially need something edited after this time, please PM a moderator.

- Removed all Guest Privileges from chat

- Removed ability to change Username in chat

- Added a handful of new emoticons to the forums

- Adjusted Post+Thread Time & Date colour (Located in Bottom Left of Post) to be much more defined and easily read on both themes

- Dark Theme added called "QLDAF Dark", still not completely finished though.

- Uniformed Theme Names, QLDAF Light, QLDAF Blue, QLDAF Dark, etc.

- Removed front door and now have an instant redirection script to the forums

08/06/2008

- Increased size of Breadcrumbing (Index > Forum > Thread etc.) links to 13px so they're easier to see.

- Moved "View unanswered posts | View active topics" links in QLDAF Light and QLDAF Blue themes to the right hand side to unclutter the left side where important information links and info are displayed.

- QLDAF Dark: Darkened Page buttons so they weren't blinding.

- QLDAF Dark: Changed a couple of the background colours to fit the theme more prior to images fully loading (Reds to Dark Blues)

- Fixed Sponsors buttons from creating a new line unless absolutely necessary in QLDAF Light (Default) theme.

- Added a welcome message to chat instructing users to refrain from using bright fluorescent font colours to cater for those who like both light and dark themes.

- QLDAF Dark: Fixed Thread topic font colour (was black)

- QLDAF Dark: Few minor colour fixes

- Added BBCode and Embed support for YouTube and GoogleVideo

- Fixed smilies not displaying correctly

09/06/2008

- Fixed broken images in Internet Explorer, default avatars, rank images, old smilies.

- QLDAF Dark: More minor colour fixes.

- Added a "Mark all forums read" link on QLDAF Light and QLDAF Blue, located in the top right and bolded.

10/06/2008

- Reintegrated chat in an attempt to fix bugs

- Fixed issue with Live Chat button not opening chat in a new window

- Added "Need Post Edited?" Global Announcement to all forums.

12/06/2008

- QLDAF Dark: Increased brightness of usernames to be more easily read.

- QLDAF Dark: Adjusted hover style for content links to be more aesthetically pleasing.

- Changed attachment settings to allow users to attach up to 8 files when creating a thread, and up to 5 files when posting a reply.

19/06/2008

- Fixed and re-indexed search function so search's will function correctly.

----------

To Do (Want something in this list? Suggest it!):

- Fix the Signup date of all current users, I've found the problem but need to sort it out.

- Make "Location" a mandatory field when signing up

- Add personal gallery and either integrate or back up old Gallery.

hi,

sites looking really good...where do we update/change avatar??...also on the left of posts it shows 1970 as the year members joined.

regards

Will be in your User Control Panel in the Profile Section. Thanks for that heads up, I'll see what I can do re: 1970.

For now changes include

- Darker Buttons

- More definition in what posts are New/Already Viewed

hey

looks good.

but whats with all the dull colours.

I'll be getting a more standard blue theme up, as well as a black theme over the next couple of days.

Updated OP to reflect some changes.

Edit this by going to your Control Panel > Board Preferences > Global Settings (Default) and Change your Board Style to "Brighter Blue". (Still adding logos and chat stuff to this)

Well done Japes on a successful upgrade.

Positives:

The brighter blues theme is WAY better than the default. Maybe make Brighter Blues the default?

Much more functionality from a user perspective.

Negatives (tiny):

Just my personal preference but I don't like the highlighting of the current line on which my cursor is resting when navigating topics or forums. Is there any setting for individual users to control this or is that a global board option?

will provide more feedback as I get more used to the new layout.

thanks.

Very spiffy, yes the 60's are back, only thing i can see so far is that it doesn't show which threads have been read before.

Well done ryan, and other contributors if any

Cheers,

Rusty

Well done Japes on a successful upgrade.

Positives:

The brighter blues theme is WAY better than the default. Maybe make Brighter Blues the default?

Much more functionality from a user perspective.

Still have a lot to go on the default one, bare with us. Even I'm annoyed with a lot of things on it, particularly the clusterf--k text in the top left.

Negatives (tiny):

Just my personal preference but I don't like the highlighting of the current line on which my cursor is resting when navigating topics or forums. Is there any setting for individual users to control this or is that a global board option?

will provide more feedback as I get more used to the new layout.

thanks.

Not sure exactly what you mean by tiny. Ctrl-MwheelUp/Down adjusts the size of your font in your browser, and on the Brighter Blues there there's actually a +/- font size

in the top right.

Cheers for the feedback guys, give it a week with the changes as well as getting used to it, and I'm sure you'll be pleased to have a fully functioning forum once again :)

sorry japes,

By tiny I only meant it was a very, very small gripe or negative, nothing of much consequence. Nothing to do with the fonts etc.

cheers

Oh I see what you mean now! ;)

Smileys also fixed.

i like the look japes, nice job there!

Chat is too wierd to use tho, and somepeople's font is unreadable

but i will get used to it

Cheers Nick

I'm going to look into possibly setting up colours/whatever so that people using different themes don't ruin it for everyone else, as there was a lovely mix of fluro-pain green, eye stabbing yellow and burning sensation blue in there tonight.

i like the look japes, nice job there!

Chat is too wierd to use tho, and somepeople's font is unreadable

but i will get used to it

Cheers Nick

I'm going to look into possibly setting up colours/whatever so that people using different themes don't ruin it for everyone else, as there was a lovely mix of fluro-pain green, eye stabbing yellow and burning sensation blue in there tonight.

just set the default theme to black/cobalt

still don't like the default Avalon Blue colours, Hestia Blue is much better.

icon changes indicating new posts (the red tick ones and red highlighting) are way better now, good change they stand out much better.

Looks good impressed noticed you have been added to the mods just don't become another christo lol.

I've just got admin privileges while I sort this out. If Grum wants to keep me on that's up to him, I'm happy to help out.

still don't like the default Avalon Blue colours, Hestia Blue is much better.

icon changes indicating new posts (the red tick ones and red highlighting) are way better now, good change they stand out much better.

Once I get the darker theme up I'm probably going to swap the index page (which is just a quick grab together with a link to the forums basically) and forum over to that style as default, and leave Avalon Blue as a selectable option (as I know a lot of people like the duller neutral colours)