Sign in to follow this  
Teacherman

Dead Bristlenose fry

Second batch of baby bristlenose all dead.

Dammit.

I was losing about 5 a day. Siphoning crap off the bottom every second day.

Feeding zucchini, replaced daily. Pumpkin and broccoli too, as well as the sinking cichlid pellets (the round ones) from Smith's Aquarium meal and vegetable matter. Could these be the problem??

Kept most in a free floating fry tank that I made, others in main tank. All dead now.

Dammit.

I cant wait til the little boy gets the little girl going again, but hen again, I dont want to kill another batch of 50 plus fry. It's depressing!

Or is this all part of the learning curve?

Adam

hey man, I've only had 2 batches so far, but in my first batch I fed them sinking pellets and half of em died.

On the second batch I've only given em zucchini, thats it ever and I haven't lost a single one :D

I had a very similar thing happen with me when I started breeding BNs. I was literally watching the fry die in front of me. I had them in a rearing tub for a couple weeks with zucchini, cleaning the bottom, etc and they were doing fine, but then suddenly they started dying. I was told by Christo (before he had to leave the forum!) that it is important to leave the fry with the father for a little while, as supposedly there is something in the feces that give the fry a better chance at surviving. I was breeding the BNs in a pond, so the next time they bred (a month or two later), I took the breeding tube AND the father and placed them in a rearing tub and lo and behold, they are surviving quite well. I haven't had that many die out of about 30- 40 or so, so I figure that leaving the father in with the fry for a while (including the breeding tube) is something to think about.

hope this helps a bit...

Sign in to follow this