Sign in to follow this  
C

cleaning silicon off old tank

hi, i have scrapped off old silicon off my tank but still have some residue on the glass inside the tank, can i use metho to clean them off? will it contaminate the tank? if metho no good what can be done?

thanks

metho should be fine as it dry with out leaving any residue, once the new silicon has been left to cure just give it a rinse with water bi carb.

bicarb soda (sodium bicarbonate) baking soda. used for PH up.

Grab a box from woolies in the cooking section. sprinkle a bit around in the tank with some water. use a clean cloth and give it a wash. to easy.

tony

use fine steel wool (not the soap containing kind) dipped in metho. Rinse with water to remove metho residue.

You should be able to get rid of most with a razor blade first.

Good luck

Adam

dont use metho use bleach and if u want a good scrape use a sharpe saftey edge razor blade im a glazier and constantly pulling old shower screens out and having to fetch the old silicone off and make way for the new stuff and i use the razor blades and they work good but when u say scraping it off and old tank was it all around the viewing area or just in the corners because if u have rmoved all the silicone from the corners it reduces the strength of the tank by a third its really bad but dont use steel wool that can scratch the glass

Sign in to follow this