relle

Are my shrimp pregnant?

ive never had shrimp before but are these guys pregnant? or is that just their bellys?

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

apologies for picture clarity hard zooming in that close on my little camera.

oh and this is my gorgeous fat mexican named Layla just to show :)

IMG_1077.jpg

I don't think the top one is, the second one is, and thats a very nice walking fish ;)

oh the term is "berried", for the cherry shrimp thats just what the females look like all the time, they have a more curved tail part compaired to the males - you can tell if they are berried cause they will have a heap of dark green eggs under them (before they do they will get a yellow patch on their back known as a "saddle" - its the ovaries that havn't decended yet, but a good indication they are getting geared to breed).

hmmmm just had a thought could you put cherries in a tank with a walking fish? obviously they would get eaten on hte odd occasion the mexican accidently ran into them but could make the tank interesting :), nice Mexican mate

oh thanks for the info frinkie :) i think ive got some male cherrys in there ( clear ones with the red line down their back?) so hopefully they will breed and get berried!

lol chris its not recommended you put anything including shrimp in with the mexicans.....yes because they would be a nice snack but also because some shrimp are known to nip at their very delicate gills which isnt very nice.

oh ok yer i knew that about the gills i used to own a couple only fish i havent been able to keep :S it was when i was a beginner and a bit stupid :P basicly couldnt keep the tempt down and tank was to small. Maybe in the future when i get sick of endlers ill chuck a couple into my planted tank. :)

im down in melbourne so its easy done here....i dunno how you could do it up there without a chiller really.....although ive read that a well air conditioned room is ok for them so you might be fine :)

yer see we don't air con at my place unfortunately and yer would be good in melbourne, and yer i was jsut a beginner so was not going to put out a couple hundren bucks on a chiller for something htat me and my gf just had hte idea of one day :P but hey that purchase let me into this hobby and now look at me like 5 4ft tanks + more and still counting :P

lol yeah chillers are terribly expensive....i have to keep the tank number down although im going to try sneak in another soon for some of those shell dwelling cichlids luckily they dont need massive space lol....terrible thing this tank addiction.....i even looked at my unused bath the other day and thought hmmm....i think i could put a filter in there.

haha yer you are right it is soo addictive :P happens so quick as well and yer you are talking about Lake Tanganyika cichlids, yer small tank size which is good and are a bit different to the rest of the cichlids so very interesting :)

good luck mate

yeah i like the different stuff.....just gotta keep studying up on them though before i dive into them.......got to be sure i have the required skills lol