Chris G

Help, just stripped female

Ok so i just stripped her and majority of them are fry with egg sacks still attatched, although egg sacks are still decent size so probably 1 or 2 days early. They are pindani's how much should the eggs be tumbled?

Should i tumble the fry with egg sacks or should i just leave them in a ice cream container in the tank (one with mesh in it so water can pass through) until they start to come off hte bottom or should i tumble them?

also do they need to be fed or does the egg sack give them all of the nutrients required??

thanks guys

Edited by Kadango
Making sense of heading

Gday Chris

If the egg sacks are still a "decent size" you are more than a couple of days off - how long has she held for? I am guessing only about half way from you description.

Yes, tumble them, but only gently - they do not need the same water flow as when they are unhatched eggs.

As for feeding - do not feed them until the day after the egg sack completely dissapears - they should be in the saver about that time too.

good luck

cheers

Drew

i think you mean stripped... You are correct, you don't need to feed them yet. Wait until egg sack disappears. If you have an ice cream container with mesh in the bottom, it wont hurt to run an air stone underneath, and regulate air flow to give the eggs/fry a little tumble...good luck :)

Be very careful with a fry saver with mesh on the bottom when you have fry on egg sack that can not swim away - as discussed before in another thread you will find that not only can your tank swimming inhabitants want to have a go, but bnose can suck the fry eggs sack through the mesh - with the obvious result.....

i got advice from Dfishkeeper who i got 12 of my 18 in hte colony and he said to strip at 14-16 days after you notice teh female is holding and this is the 15th day. So i am not sure about that, and ok i will turn it down a little bit and thanks for the feeding tip and moving time tip, cheers

yer im not going to do the fry saver with mesh on hte bottom i have like pasta strainers that the eggs are tumbled in so they cant get sucked out :P

Ok this time i got my timing right of stripping her and everything i could out of this female was fry and alot of them at that, for a young girl was surprised at the numbers and have another 2 to strip this week so could have a fair few of the little fellas :)