Sign in to follow this  
aterese

Help needed to identify fry

Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between guppy babies and swordtail babies ?

I already have guppy babies born early this week (had them exactly the same before).

But this 2nd batch that appeared today are darker and larger.

I have a mix of bn, swords, but mostly guppies.

Are they just from another guppy (same shape) and going to be coloured and not albino like the other batch (which looked like the mums)......or could they be swordtails.

I have 4 preggy looking guppies and 2 preggy swordtails (that I was told were due over a week ago to drop).

So just trying to learn what I have.

So far neither has touched the babies, so as long as plenty of cover will swords not eat guppy fry (if the guppy mums aren't) ?

Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between guppy babies and swordtail babies ?

Sorry can't help with this question, I don't have any experience with guppies.

... 2 preggy swordtails (that I was told were due over a week ago to drop).

Some swordtails will hold their fry long past the date you would normally expect them to be born. I don't know the reason for it but it happens with some of mine. I had a situation some time ago where I had a small angel in a community tank with some swords. The angel, when introduced cleaned up the existing sword fry in a matter of days (not a bad thing as I had too many). Eventually, several female swords went long past their expected dates to give birth. I theorised that maybe the presence of the angel was causing this so I removed it. Within 24 hours they had all dropped their fry.

The point I'm trying to make is they will often hold the fry longer than expected and there could be any number of reasons. I don't think a week overdue is anything to worry about.

... will swords not eat guppy fry (if the guppy mums aren't) ?

Swords will certainly eat guppy fry. They will also eat their own fry. They will eat anything that will fit in their mouths.

hth

guppy fry n sword tail fry are a different shape, and swordtails have their parents colours when born in my experance. i have regular guppy and swordtail drops, guppies often drop early swordtails late. no idea why lol.

Swordtail fry are slighty larger when born ( still tiny) and will likly stay near the bottom areas and guppys will stay near the top. Both guppys and swordtails will eat fry, although guppys will normally not eat their own for a little while. it is best if u wish to save ur fry to move them to a grow out tank. i normally move my pregnant mother there a week before she is due ( decent size tank) and remove her the next day or day after depending on how she has recovered. i keep my fry in the grow out tank untill big enough to be used as food :innocent: or to be placed in the tank. i keep 3-4 from each drop to add to the comuntity. i do not however seperate every female and allow some to drop in the planted tank. no idea if any of these actully survive.

as the fry get slighty larger most guppies will devolp a darkening on the tail. making it easier to see

Turns out they are guppies only. Albinos at this stage for one batch and dark grey for the other. The 2nd batch was larger and arrived about 7 days later.

I have no idea on when a female is fat (preggy) how long before due to drop her babies. I had 4 females all supposively preggie, 2 dropped but are still fat and the others never (3 weeks later).

The swords never dropped and 2 were definitely preggie. They are now in a mix of 4 females and 2 males, so you'd think they'd breed but I'm no in a hurry. (separate tank now)

The guppy parents are still with the babies and not a single one has disappeared (6 each batch), so I've left them there.

If I could tell who was ready to drop and who was well off, then I'd know when to separate *L*

its meant to be 28 days from drop to drop, so i normally note each drop and have a round about time for it. an easy way with guppies is to look for a squaring off of the pelvis area. also they tend to be more restful the day or 2 beforehand.

Were the drops the first for both girls? 6 is a very small drop. mine drop 50 upwards each time, although first drops can be less

you can normally tell if a guppy has had a drop before. there middles never go really flat ever again. some fish stores sell virgin guppies some dont. guppies can mate as quickly as 3 months so...

Sign in to follow this