joffbell

why so agro????

I came home today to find the female of my breeding pair of red devils had been severly beaten. The male has given her a touch once or twice before but this time he ripped all the scales off half her body and ripped all of her fins.

I wish these two could learn to live peacefully!!!!

anyone know how to get him to settle down???

Joff

well sadly you cant really settle him down , he is just doing what red devils do best and thats beat up other fish.

what most likely happend is that he was ready to breed again but the female didnt want to so he killed her. it happens all the time with large agressive americans so thats why most breeders use a divider to stop World war 3

unfortuneatly he is toey and she has a headache :lol::lol::lol: he has to do something to surpress to tenstion unfortunatly it is her all you can do is to seperate or to try giving him something else to stress overlol

something smaller to chase or a ping pong ball to play with but if he is toey then there is only one thing that will make him happy :roll::roll::roll:

mark

A mate of mine used to have half a milk crate in his tank that the female could hide in... Didn't look that flash but she could fit inside it when she "wasn't in the mood" and he had to just sit around and wait.... I guess you could find something prettier...

Joff,

A bit of basic american cichlid pyschology. What tends to happen is the male establishes a territory in the wild and waits for passing females. He then goes mad and displays to her. If she is readdy to breed and all the rest then they get it on. If not she is chased out of his territory so that he is readdy for the next possibility. The story of americans mating for life is generally a bit exagerated.

Unfortunatly these territorys tend to be a couple of meters in size. Hence the male considers the whole tank his territory and if she aint readdy he wants to move her on.

You could try and make him less "excited" by lowering your tank temperature. However it is a bit difficult to o when it is so damn hot.

HTH

Steve

Try blocking off a section of the tank at one end for the female with "egg crate', the thicker 12mm stuff. That way he gets used to her presence in his territory without being able to get at her. If she is smaller than him, cut a hole or two in the egg crate that she can fit through but he can't. That way she can visit him or get away from him as she wishes. If she is not that much smaller, don't put any holes in the egg crate and put a big spawning rock on her side and make sure the current in the tank is flowing from the males end to her end. That way she can lay her eggs on the rock and the current will take his sperm to them.

Cheers, Doug

If your going to cut holes in the eggcarte always cut more then one

It wont take the male long to realise where she is getting through and start blocking off the hole

I have found best results with 3 holes and also with having no holes and them breeding through the eggcrate

Brad

Thanks for the advice guys.

The tank they were sharing was a 4x2x2. They are both a good size (him about 27cms and her about 22 cms) and it was my display tank in the lounge room that they were in so i might have to find another home for them and try something else in the display tank.

I'll think of something.

Joff