rwmjd007

Seting up a breeding tank for bn

hey Guys and Girls.

i was just wonder about setting up just a small tank to tumble bristlenose eggs in. I was going to build a custom tank (big enought for a strainer) and just run an airstone under neath.

The questions i have are:

1. Should i build this tank or just put over one of my big ones.

2. Do i need a heater and filter on the tank.

Any advise or suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers

Robert

for the tumbler is it home made or shop baught? but if u can score some glass cheap and smack it together by ur self go for it but yeah a filter would be good to keep the water cycling and a heater coming up to winter now and having a small tak with no heat would be a bad thing u wouldnt want to grow up in a cold inviroment and drinking ur own wee for a living would u but hey if your after a cheap set up all in one with gravel and heater im selling a 75l for $60

hey mate,

i always tumble my eggs in the tank with there parents so am unsure on all this but this is what i would think.

to tumble i would think only an airstone to keep them tumbling, and a heater or if your room is heated no heater will be needed.

i leave mine in the strainer until there eggs have been completely eaten away then release them into the tank.

if you are using meth blue in a little tank make sure when the fry hatch there is not much left if any at all, the elements in it are harmful to fry if they are exposed to too much of it.

it took me many practices to get tumbling right but now i have a high success rate and find they do great in the parents tank.

you don't need to "TUMBLE" the eggs just move them . We have a small 10" squ tank with a small heater and a sponge filter and an air bar. The tank holds 4 "pea strainer nets' .As long as the eggs are moving the B/N all hatch . you can release them into the same tank once all are swimming free and having a nibble on some blanched zucchini . Then grow them to 1.5-2cm before moving them on .after than they will survive just about anything :)

this if my experience and now we have 100s of fry. hope it helps

ok thanks bestfish and rhonny. i have fry at about 3mm are they safe to let loose with guppies and neons or are they safer in the strainer for the time being. what would u feed them?

oh and rhonny the albino bristlenose i bought off you are going strong have not breed yet but am keeping an eye on them.