Woke up this morning to a bunch of cooked fish. including my caudos, 7 firefins 6 leptos etc....

was a 300w aqua one heater.

Is there any heaters you can actually trust?

Seriously i bought 5 heaters with a 3yr warranty and had to return 2 of them since they didnt ever turn on.

I have stories of ebo jagers too. What are the best quality heaters?

hate seeing hundreds of dollars worth of fish die .

With heaters you get a new heater but not the fish back. :evil::evil::evil::evil:

yeh that really sucks to lose fish to faulty equipment man :(

i had a 300w 'aquaworld' heater fail on me recently & one of my mainganos got sick & died before i realised it was the temperature.

i bought an elite 300w to replace it... i hope they are ok :fish:

When buying any equipment you have to realise that you only get what you pay for.

With heaters there are always going to be problems. Electricity and water will never be a good mix. So be prepared.

The more dominent brands on the market like Aqua One and Aquarworld offer good priced heaters with 3 year warranties. These heaters are mass produced in China. If one breaks it is easily replaced. I know Russ at Redlands Pet Centre sells an Aquarworld heater to QLDAF members for about $15.00. So that is value for money. If you are concerned about price over quality at this price you can buy a back up. With a 3 year warranty get the faulty one replaced and use the back up. I am going to ask Russ if he has any figures on return rates for faulty heaters.

So what I am saying is for the price of these heaters with a 3 year warranty you really can't go wrong. Just don't expect a top of the range heater for $15.00.

If you really want quality, the Jagers Heaters are the best. But you have to pay for it. Sure there have probably been some faulty Jager Heaters over the years, but it appears to be quite rare. I have been keeping fish for more than 40 years and other than a story on the internet I haven't heard of any. I believe the retail price on a 300w of these heaters is about $60. I think Redlands sells them for about $43.00 and I believe they might even be cheaper on the Bayfish Trip.

So more than twice the price for the quality heater.

I always look at the value of the fish in my tanks and choose the products accordingly. We all have access to good cheap prices these days so take advantage of it.

Cheers Triston

When buying any equipment you have to realise that you only get what you pay for.

With heaters there are always going to be problems. Electricity and water will never be a good mix. So be prepared.

The more dominent brands on the market like Aqua One and Aquarworld offer good priced heaters with 3 year warranties. These heaters are mass produced in China. If one breaks it is easily replaced. I know Russ at Redlands Pet Centre sells an Aquarworld heater to QLDAF members for about $15.00. So that is value for money. If you are concerned about price over quality at this price you can buy a back up. With a 3 year warranty get the faulty one replaced and use the back up. I am going to ask Russ if he has any figures on return rates for faulty heaters.

So what I am saying is for the price of these heaters with a 3 year warranty you really can't go wrong. Just don't expect a top of the range heater for $15.00.

If you really want quality, the Jagers Heaters are the best. But you have to pay for it. Sure there have probably been some faulty Jager Heaters over the years, but it appears to be quite rare. I have been keeping fish for more than 40 years and other than a story on the internet I haven't heard of any. I believe the retail price on a 300w of these heaters is about $60. I think Redlands sells them for about $43.00 and I believe they might even be cheaper on the Bayfish Trip.

So more than twice the price for the quality heater.

I always look at the value of the fish in my tanks and choose the products accordingly. We all have access to good cheap prices these days so take advantage of it.

Cheers Triston

I think the main concern in our warmer climate is a heater not turning off rather than not turning on and unfortunately this can happen with any brand heater (though probably more likely with the cheaper ones). My brother lost most of his display tank occupents when a well known and expensive brand heater didn't turn off and cooked the fish. Now don't get me wrong i have pro-aqua heaters in both my tanks so i'm not blasting them just saying that a 3 year warranty is all good if the heater doesn't turn on but if it decides not to turn off then you may lose your tank full of fish with no reimbursement. Does anyone know if you can lodge a claim if a heater malfunctions and cooks your fish?

It must be the "season" for heater failures. I recently just replaced two 200W Via Aqua "stainless steel" heaters as well as two glass heaters. The stainless steel ones had lasted about 18months and the glass versions about 3 years.

The glass heaters seemed to have water in their thermostats - and hence they would run up to ~27 degC even though set to 20 to 22.

The stainless steel units have an external thermostat controller with a separate temperature sensor. I believe either the thermostat failed, or the sensor screwed up. In either case, one failured by just not turning on however the other worked too well and my poor old Lake Warnam raindows were feeling the pain at ~40 degC :-(

Replaced the lot of them with Aquaraworld for no reason other than price and warranty (thanks to AoA).

Mind you, it's worth reflecting on the relative quality of brands. I still have a german and an american heater that I inherited from my father when he gave away the hobby almost 20 years ago. Both are still going strong.

Second reflection point: My 1000W fishroom heater is still going strong and only cost ~$35 yet keeps my "plant room" (as my fish room has two halves) going strong.

Ta

Graeme

Second reflection point: My 1000W fishroom heater is still going strong and only cost ~$35 yet keeps my "plant room" (as my fish room has two halves) going strong.

Better clarify, the 1000W unit is a 5 finned oil filled space heater, not an aquarium heater.

Sorry for the confusion.

caio

Graeme

It is also important to get the right size heater for your tank, go too small and it will always be on, costing you more money, not keep temp stable and burn out quicker. Too big and if it sticks on it can over heat the tank very quickly.

Also very important to read the instructions, some of the cheaper brands must be mounted vertically, fro accuracy, and apparently if on side they can overheat the side causing the glass to crack.

Matt

I changed to hydor several years ago. I have five, and they are between 8 and 4 years old. They still work beautifully. It seems that with the blanket element rather than the normal style element, they are a bit more efficient, but also dont heat as rapidly as the normal style element, that is, they dont have as higher peak temperature when heating. so they are less likely to cook the fish in just one night, turn on and off all the time when there is less water flow, and certainly wont crack glass or burn your catties. I have even had them run dry on large water changes and not crack... forgetful at times. They dont however lack power. A 300w keeps my 6x2x2 very stable, a 200w keeps a 4x2x2 stable in winter without any room heating. One issue I found with them is that the thermostat may say 25 degrees, but they will heat the water to 27. Other than that, I think they are fantastic. Better than the jagers I have had in the past.

HTH,

Jason