hey all,

i am picking up 15 fish from the gold coast next weekend. all fish are around 80 - 100mm long and was wondering if i should get a portable air pump for transport back to bris.

cheers hornz

yeah mate I would say absolutely grab a battery operated air pump and carry them in a coolite box or esky. If your car doesn't have air con I'd even carry some cool water or ice to put around them. All just to be on the safe side. The last thing you want is to travel all that way to even have 1 die on you

I've never used aeration, even on long trips. There is enough movement in the water from the swaying of the vehicle to provide aeration. If you think about it logically, (from a fishes POV), they are undergoing a traumatic enough experience trying to remain stable in sloshing water and a confined space, than to have the alien experience of bubbles of air rising around them, along with the accompanying sound, in that confined space. If they're large fish, or a large quantity, likely to produce high volumes of waste on the journey, then a more appropriate proceedure is to carry spare clean water from the tank they came from, or even from the tank that they are going in, thereby acclimatising them in transit, and to change some of the water from the transport vessel for this, part-way through the journey, thereby diluting the waste.

Others may disagree, but I have used this method for many years and have never lost a fish in transit

kev

I've never used aeration, even on long trips. There is enough movement in the water from the swaying of the vehicle to provide aeration. If you think about it logically, (from a fishes POV), they are undergoing a traumatic enough experience trying to remain stable in sloshing water and a confined space, than to have the alien experience of bubbles of air rising around them, along with the accompanying sound, in that confined space. If they're large fish, or a large quantity, likely to produce high volumes of waste on the journey, then a more appropriate proceedure is to carry spare clean water from the tank they came from, or even from the tank that they are going in, thereby acclimatising them in transit, and to change some of the water from the transport vessel for this, part-way through the journey, thereby diluting the waste.

Others may disagree, but I have used this method for many years and have never lost a fish in transit

kev

Totally agree Kev.

I have done the same many times and no probs.

Although it may depend on the species. In my case it was always Malawis. = Bullet proof. Almost.