I seem to be fighting a never ending battle with whitespot of late. I have a few questions about it:

1. Once it is in your tank will every new fish get it?

2. I have been treating it with Marine white spot remedy to no real avail is there anything better?

3. Can anyone actually explain to me what it is and what causes it?

Thanks

Jade

Whitespot (ichyophtirius) It is a litlle parasite that sticks itself to the fish, and kind of makes it ich. They look like tiny grains of salt stuck to the fish, and the fish try and scratch it off. If they are scratching around the gills, it may be hard to spot the parasite. If the parasite is there, treat the water with malachite green. Whitespot lives for 3 days, so leave it in there for 4 to 5 days. If you have carbon in your filter, take it out before treating. A slight rise in water temperature speeds up the proccess. Do a 25%-50% water change after treating, and put some carbon in the filter to get rid of any leftover midication.

Hope this helps,

Beau

not much point adding salt to a marine tank.... In fact i have now read that lowering the salinity helps...

I did a search here not much popped up but thanks guys. Masa seems to be able to answer my question quite well once i deal with the stuck up idiots...

white spot is a sist like disease and all the little white spots are sists with thousands of microscopic worms and once one fish gets it it is likely all the others will because all those white sists will pop and the thousands of microscopic worms carrying the disease will pass it on to any other fish they come in contact with. the disease will spread quicker depending on how many fish are in your tank

hope this helps

see ya dudes 8)8)8)

Hey Jadels,

Nifurpirinol can be used in conjunction with anti-parasitic medicine to combat whitespot. For coldwater fish, Aquamor-1 by Aquarium Munster (contains 2.4% nifurpirinol) can be used or see your vet about Nifurpirinol treatments.

Hope this helps

J&K

Hey thanks guys for trying to help, i appreciate it. The display tank does have a few soft corals but nothing too major.. Looks like the fish are all gone now :(:cry: but i guess that happens when i have to go away. So now its 6-8 weeks and i should be able to put new fish in without the new fish getting infected with the parasite