gtr73

Wishlist - what we'd like here in Oz

Ok, as an offshoot to an earlier thread I thought it’d be interesting to see what fishkeepers would like to see here in Australia.

Can be any species you wish (Africans, Catfish, Americans, Tropicals), except only list the fish you’ve seen on overseas forums or websites. That way we can highlight particular fish that are currently available and exported to other countries, but not yet Australia.

If possible, list a link to a photo or video so we can all see what you’re highlighting.

I’ll start: Metriaclima Msobo Heteropictus Higga Reef . . .

http://www.malawi-dream.info/Maylandia_sp_msobo_heteropictus_Higga_Reef.htm

Related to Metriaclima sp. “Msobo” we have available here, but a slightly different variation. Maybe it's already in Oz???

Have fun!

;)

Like most Parachromis the female is usually a lot smaller, that's definitely a female RTM. Red Tiger Mota's are a completely different species but are commonly referred to as "Red/Tiger Jag's" because of the obvious physical resemblance.

Lots of nice shots on Cichlidae.com taken by Morrell Devlin aka http://www.aquamojo.com, who is quite a prominent American fish keeper and photographer. (Edit: Jay's original shot is from Aquamojo)

http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/species.php?s=227

Also, just to add a few to the list of what we'd like over here, I'd like to see and keep some Thorichthys species.

Nandopsis tetracanthus (cuban cichlid)

It's actually biggish Cubans, not Mayans like I originally said, that they have at Pet City (Not sure whether they still do, this was months back). I get the names mixed up for whatever reason.

2nding the red tiger motaguence... that looks awesome!

i'll add emporer cichlids... & a system big enough to keep them to the wishlist :egrin:

cubans show up in fishshops pretty regularly... i have a ~15cm female in my american display tank... fiesty beast!

cube2.jpg

I agree it may help in importing less common species... but on the other hand, I'll probably never get the fish I want, as they are on the noxious list.. LOL.. always wanting the wrong things.. :twisted:

I think you'd be surprised what is here and for sale. There is a lot of movement on Plecofanatics. Recently there have been a number of channa - snakeheads available. All you need to do is post a wtb add, sometimes reposting it every couple of weeks, and eventually someone will contact you via pm.

As for what I'd like to see available. You can start with every L#number and Corydoras. Or most SA cichlids, sometimes they are legal, they just are not commonly available within the trade and usually only seen in serious European collectors and breeders tanks.

Laetacara sp. buckelkopf

p01329t.jpg

Laetacara flavilabris

p01310t.jpg

Dicrossus maculatus

d_maculatus05-lekbetende-johan_lindgren.jpg

Every known Apistogramma species.

All Retroculus species.

All Gymnogeophgagus species, particularly some from the restructured rhabdotus group.

_006-0331_400x266.jpg

Ironmonkey wrote:

I agree it may help in importing less common species... but on the other hand, I'll probably never get the fish I want, as they are on the noxious list.. LOL.. always wanting the wrong things..

I was told 20 years ago commercial airline pilots can bring eggs or fry into Australia.

Also fish importers can smuggle banned species into the country if they want to.

If this is not possible why do we see some species suddenly appear on the market?

Feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

Brian.

I agree with the red jags, they look really good.

I'd also like Caquetaia spectabilis

tn_Caspe_u1.jpg

There's a glass catfish that can grow to 30 odd centimeters wouldn't mind one of them.

And quite a few of the big catfish, i know there are red tails and perrunos. Especially

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=146

I'm sure i'll think of some more

Cheers,

Rusty

Well Emporer are already here

I know of a few that will have to be getting close to breeding soon

They are massive and make the 8ft look small

Alot of these new smuggled fish dont make it straight into the hobby as alot of sold b4 they get here and only the people in the now have access to them

Once they start breeding that become more avail

Brad

^^^^^^^^^^^ oh ok... i dont get how having fish ppl WANT is shooting urself in the foot.. bet half the fish that are now available legally were smuggled in at one point or another untill they were made available..

but i understand your moral outlook on obeying laws... i just dont have a high regard for those that constrict our lives more and more everyday i guess..

sorry to stray off topic..