Hi all!

I am quite new to fish keeping and the forum (and Qld itself) so I guess I should introduce myself!

My name is Eden and my lovely boyfriend got me a 2.5ft fish tank for my birthday/christmas last year. I am already super addicted to the hobby (I've already spent many times what the tank cost :P) and not long after ended up buying a second 2ft tank on a whim, though I was always planning on getting a second tank for quarantine.

My question is in regard to where to put the second tank. I was wanting to have it in our study and due to space issues and just generally liking the idea, I was thinking of putting it on my desk. Thing is, this will place it right in front of the window.

It's south facing with an overhang so I don't think it gets direct sunlight. If I put a background on the tank, will this necessarily be a problem location?

I know lots of people advise against putting a tank in front of a window, is this just because of the potential algae issues?

I guess there's also the worry of it getting too hot but as there's no direct sunlight I'm hoping I could get away with some reflective backing on the other side of the tank background to help with that.

Advice and experiences much appreciated, lovely to meet you all! :egrin:

hey edan, sounds like your on the rite track, i have a tank the same position as you and nver had a problem, just try gurd it from direct sunlite, hope the forum is a help to you

welcome aboard.

a 2.5ft is a good size to start with, what do you have in it if I may ask?? and your 2ft aswell?

the location on the desk sounds fine, if its facing south it shouldnt get any direct sun at all. a thermometer in the tank will be a good way to keep an eye on things.

I think you will algae in your tank no matter what. what tank lighting you have will affect this too. I dont mind it actually, makes the tank look natural and no need for a background haha.

In term of algae you alway can put in or introduce an algae eater or some Bristlenose in there to clean up your tank depend on what fish you are keeping but normally common BN is the most easiest to adapt into any aquarium.

If $ is an issue I can give you 2 common BN for free pick up only. Pm me if you want

In term of back ground, it's all up to individual choices.

Cheers

Ryan

Edited by Supercobwe

My name is Eden and my lovely boyfriend got me a 2.5ft fish tank for my birthday/christmas last year.

He's really not that lovely or he wud have gotten you a 12 footer .. :D . Ok ok ok .. he's lovely then ... and dont worry about the heat

as a 60 ltr tank as u have takes a long time to vary temp in an Australian climate even if its near a window ... A tank backing of ur choice will help

and get some bristle nose as Cobwe said .. He speaks/ types/ sounds ... like an Asian guy but i guess thats becuz he is Asian ...

Welcome Eden .. we are VERY experienced here and we too are very pleased to meet you ...

Lungy ...

Yer that should be good, i had one in a similar spot with little algae problems if you do get some yer chuck a backing on it or paint it black or blue.

Welcome, there are alot of people on here that have a wealth of knowledge just waiting for you to tap into so don't hesitate to post up questions, you will become addicted in no time :D very addictive hobby this one