I have recently set up 10 2 foot tanks connected to a sump system to house my bristlenose pairs. However, to make room for this system i had to close down several tanks which led to 10-15 pairs of bristlenose in a single 4x2x2 tank. it was only for about 4 days but my most prized fish came off worse for wear. I have a 11cm longfin pepermint male but as hes a bit more fragile then the other bn his fins have been damaged. he doesnt look to stressed at present but was wondering what i can do to improve the fin repair times.

Anyway advice appreciated.

they are very rare, i had to breed the genes myself (doing genetics at uni so had help) i have one full adult male and one almost ready to breed female so at the moment i am very watchful over the two. I'll try upload a pic but first i need 2 learn how 2 help the big guy =/

i didnt get the gene expressed using that method. i used pepermint females that had longer then normal and breed selective fry again. it took 5 years but its worked.

Ha Ha where are the protagonists, you may regret mentioning "peppermint longfin" by the end of the evening.

I shall do a Raycam and get some popcorn ready !!!

Dave

pics would be good but aren't a must, throw some melafix/pimafix in there and it'll be fine, i've had a number of LF bnose break/damage fins and it'll either drop off or if your lucky it'll heal but crooked.

But the main thing you can do now is too prevent infection.

I agree with dave, am getting pizza soon and will be giving the F5 button a workout.

there isnt any infection, its damage from fighting. I'll upload photos tonight, im 3 year genetics and have 3 exams in the next few days so been super bisy. I was under the impression this was a friendly website to post about fish. i honestly dont give 3 ****s about people who know alot less then i do on genetics telling me about interbreeding.... If you think your so smart did u know that a mouse and human BRCA1 gene are over 98% homologous with the human gene on chromosome 17q21 and a mouse 11p13.... different locations with 98% match up over 1.3 million base fragment length. Not sure if anyone realises but its been sometime since humans and mice evolutionary ancestory split.

When it comes to breeding for a trait you inaffect only speed up natural selection breeding pressures. bristlenose varieties are the result of allopatric speciation evolution leading to new varities eventually becoming new species. Even if/ when people interbreed fish its not because they are breaking God's rule of speciation, no its because that evolutionary genetic markers are conserved in gamete binding complexes.

So can we PLEASE stop being arseholes on here and just help me simply fix my issue of longfin pepermint fin damage caused from fighting.

Not that I believe in Macro Evolution, only Micro Evolution but GOOD on ya for telling them where it's at :)

People seem to forget that all the varieties of cow come from a very small original number, or what about the guppy varieties or angels or discus... All the Pelvicachromis species (pulcher, taeniatus...) no doubt came from one original fish over thousands of years in the lake.

Look forward to seeing these LF's mate.

hi

thanks for that its great to see someone who knows what theyre talking about and yes longfin bnose are more fragile and often get damaged fins

I would be too concered about it to be honest most males end up with deformed pec fins from trying to back into logs when breedinging. Theres a huge range of medications avail and most are personal choice for me a little salt in the water and thats about it. If theres no sign of bacterial infection then all should be good.

Great news and i know theres lots of people hanging for pics of these fish theyve been the holy grail of fish for a while now whoooo hooo cant wait

peter

there isnt any infection, its damage from fighting. I'll upload photos tonight, im 3 year genetics and have 3 exams in the next few days so been super bisy. I was under the impression this was a friendly website to post about fish. i honestly dont give 3 ****s about people who know alot less then i do on genetics telling me about interbreeding.... If you think your so smart did u know that a mouse and human BRCA1 gene are over 98% homologous with the human gene on chromosome 17q21 and a mouse 11p13.... different locations with 98% match up over 1.3 million base fragment length. Not sure if anyone realises but its been sometime since humans and mice evolutionary ancestory split.

When it comes to breeding for a trait you inaffect only speed up natural selection breeding pressures. bristlenose varieties are the result of allopatric speciation evolution leading to new varities eventually becoming new species. Even if/ when people interbreed fish its not because they are breaking God's rule of speciation, no its because that evolutionary genetic markers are conserved in gamete binding complexes.

So can we PLEASE stop being arseholes on here and just help me simply fix my issue of longfin pepermint fin damage caused from fighting.

What he said... A little salt and some melafix always fixed the job with my albino longfins after a bit of fighting. good luck..

plecofanatics died so i no longer go on that website. I have infact posted pictures of the fish on here before in my gallery but the servers were reset and they were deleted. I have added dowdit on fb and he can see my pictures of it. Might as him to link them onto here but i will give it a go now.

Sorry to burst your bubble clipper but your longfin is just a common bristlenose. As for the fin damage, it does not look to bad and should heal fine on its on. Steve

Funny.....this thread went quiet all of a sudden. Maybe some people are chewing thier words. I aint all that up to speed with catfish but that looks legitamate to me. Lmfao