Afsan

Need a recomendation...

This is for my main display tank.. it's not overly large, just looking a bit sparse in the middle/upper strata.

It's a 29gal High (30x18x12) tank. Usual 'weedy' sort of setup with a nice bit of driftwood as the center piece, surrounded by Val. The water is on the soft/acidic side (due to the reminents of some Peatmoss under the gravel). Currently it is home to a colony (12) of full size Peppered Cory's and a pair of Bristlenoses (one of whom is quite big). This mean that the lower Strata is full, so i'm looking for more something in the upper/mid tank range.

My preference is for something South American, a little on the 'odd' side and easy to keep (i tried a few dwarf Cichlids in there but that was back when i was being lazy with water changes, they didn't last long).

Any recommendations?

ATM I'm thinking Angels... but I'm in two minds over them, sure a pair will look nice, but will they A: tolerate the Cory's and B: get too big for the tank. I'm also thinking Krebs, Jewels (i know i know, not South America, but nice), Firemouths and dare i say it Convicts...

Apistogramma species and rams have been sugested, but being that (well atleast the apisto's) are rather shy, live in the bottom strata and need a more hevily planted tank (i really do suck with plants, Val is one of the few that I have every had much sucess with.. that and Wistiria), i'm starting to rule them out.

Appreciate the thoughts and comments.

apistos and rams will defintely compete for space wiht the pepper cory's

So will kribs, jewels, convicts, and firemouths to a lesser extent.

Angels are a good idea. How about festivum - nice shape and colour and something a little different.

Otherwise go something non-cichlidy - halfbeaks could be fun - livebearer and real top living fish.

Endlers guppys could be fun.

Lots of options.

Steve

Thanks for hte tips....

I thin i've prity much decided on Angels... but those Festivums also look interesting.

I already have a few Elders guppies (only babies, my adults died in the heat). I'm a bit fenatical about keeping things from the same area in the same tank. As cool as a some halfbeaks would be, they're a SE Asian fish and to me would jsut look 'wrong' in the tank.