nativecollector

Diamond Drill Bits & Plumbing Fittings (Q's)

Finally decided to sump my remaining tiered setup so I'll be needing a diamond drill bit and some plumbing gear in the next few weeks. I have done a search re drilling etc and couldn't find the exact info I needed.

Here are my main queries, I would appreciate answers to any or all of them:

1. What size bulkhead would be recommended for a nine 2x15x15 tank setup (3 tier) in 6mm glass?

2. What size hole needs to be drilled for the above sized bulkhead (what size drill bit should I buy)?

3. What size sump pump would be adequate for the above setup (to house BN) which would be around 2 meters high?

4. Does anyone know a good plumbing supplier close to Geebung/Virginia that could supply bulkheads, strainers, connectors and pipework (all in PVC)?

Once again, all help and thoughts welcomed. Will probably add more questions as they arise.

i got 35 mm drill bits (china $11 for 3)

a 25 mm tank fitting is the size for 35 mm hole (reece plumbing)

havent sorted pump out yet

(surprisingly easy to drill through glass)

Heres my opinion but keep in mind I prefer to go overboard.

1. 25mm with stainless strainers two keep flow rates up but fry inside tank. Prob can go 19mm but will then have issues with settlement of debris, lower flow etc.

2. They say 35mm is what you want, to be honest I dont know. Trigger gave me a drill bit to suit 25mm bulkheads and I have never measured it.

3. Depending on brand of pump etc, but I would be looking for a pump with a max flow around 6000 and max head of 4m. Or alternatively a pump that returns around 4000l/h at your head of 2m,

4. Not sure but I think tony powell has a geebung branch. They have all items you need in stock, most times anyway.

Edited by ronny
Didnt read post properly

give the drill bit 10 mm on the bulkhead size u want so 25 mm bulkhead 35 mm holesaw , tony powell at geebunger is the place to go he should have all you need and if its not instock will have it quickly and call u when its in to either have u pick it up or arrange it to be delivered to your place pump will need to be atleast 5-6000 lph to get the turn over and flow thru the tanks and remember the head height will drop the flow down so it may pay to go even higher

hey Jordan,

Welcome to come and have at look how i did mine if you like,

exact same set up, i may even have the all the fittings you need.

17022011001q.jpg

FIIK .... Much as i luv you those tank floors are awfully clean for strainers that are up the top ...

Did u vacuum b4 the pic ... ? U sneaking lil thang you ... *HUG*

FIIK .... Much as i luv you those tank floors are awfully clean for strainers that are up the top ...

Did u vacuum b4 the pic ... ? U sneaking lil thang you ... *HUG*

Lol Andy, I like clean and quality mate....so im sorry but your not my type.. *HUG* lmao ..:)

buy your hole saws off Ebay. I got mine from either China or Hong Kong and its fine and works.

As previously advised, allow at least 10mm for your bulkhead. 25mm bulkhead = 35mm hole saw

Bunnings have bulkheads for $9+ Tony Powell at Geebung are about $3 cheaper. They will help you with all you need. Call them before you go. They're happy to help and they can suggest ideas. They are worth the drive