undeadsoljah

just stripped my mates fish

Just stripped my mates saulosi and one of the fish was holding 45 juvies! Wow thats a lot for a saulosi. All the others had 20-25 which is good. Also when we finished stripping the fish and put them back in the main tank we noticed they got a little deep red spot on the front of their noses. What does this mean not quite sure?

Cheers,

Matt

Just hand under them and then use my thumb to pull down their mouth. I cut my fingernails today in the morning so I dont think I cut them. Could have been my mate when I showed him how do it it though. Does it take long to heal up if it was a fingernail cut?

Matt

Hey Matt,

Just for future referance if ur ever stripping fry try using a cotton tip or something of similar nature, the less stress on the females the better i used this method as well as a syringe to flush out the juvies it works quite well as the more the fry are formed they just try to swim back into her mouth.

Hope this helps :)

Timbo

Yes very true timbo :) thanks for the tio mate. I thought about a tooth pick with a blunt edge but the chance of that going wrong it probably high still. How do you hold the fish, open its mouth with a tooth pick and syringe its mouth out? extra person helping out?

Matt

yer matt, i had my brother help me.

I rinsed my hands first and made sure when i caught the female i used a gentle but firm grip to make sure she didnt wriggle out of my grasp.(grip it the same way u grip ya old fella not to tight though lol) dont put to much pressure on the gills, then i used my other hand to open the mouth using the cottom tip. (wet the cotton tip first) hold slightly above water level, then get a 2nd person to slowely squirt water into the females mouth flushing out the fry. make sure u use water from the aquarium when filling the syringe, they are only like 2 bucks from local pet stores.

I would avoid using a toothpick to sharp, and the syringe method is quite tricky when doing it on ur own. get someone to help out.

Timbo

Cheers for that timbo. Ill grab my brother to squirt the syringe into the mouths of the fish im stripping on the weekend. Sounds like a easier way. Do all the fish come out in one go or need to do it a few times with the syringe?

Matt

well it depends sometimes they all come out, after a few seconds of flushing and if u see any in there mouth still give em another squirt. not to fast also.

then put em into a seperate container if ur still unsure, she should spit the rest out if u missed any.

(using water from the aquarium for both fry and females)

the syringes holds a fair bit of water so you shouldnt need to refill it unless u are sure u see more.

Timbo

Edited by timbo86

I just stripped my fish today with the technique you told me. It works quite well :) didnt take to long to quickly flush out the mouth, which reduced the stress. I put her in a seperate ice cream containor and she didnt spit any more and same with the others I stripped so I put them back into the main tank and they seemed to be doing fine :) After 30 mins I had a look at them again and I found a loan fry swimming in one of the PVC pipes I have in there. One of them must have still had one or two left that they didnt spit before. Quickly scooped it out and put it in the fry grow out haha. Lucky little fella. It was a bit weird at first trying to flush the mouths out but once my brother got the hang of it, it went quite fast. I found that having the fish's mouth still 1/2 in the water didnt allow the fry to be fluch out so I tilted it more so they almost fell out when the water flushed her mouth.

Matt

lol using a syringe 2 strip dont even bother with that man, jus hold there body gently and use thumb and first finger 2 rub down under there mouth..point the fish down in an ice cream buket in the water and she will spit them easy as...much quicker and once u figure it out easy as pie...

Have been using the syringe method for more than a decade now.

but I still hold them up to check for remaining eggs.

better to be sure than have a girl not eating for another 2 weeks because of one missed fry/egg

I don't strip fish very often at all, but i've always just squirted water through the gills with a syringe and the babies get flushed out that way - works for me!

I use kebab sticks for mine, i just soak the sticks for a few hrs on the day i have marked as removal day. Snap the sharp end off and make it nice and smooth with no sharp edges. Always found the extra length allows for easier handling of the female instead of adjusting her to my stripping stick i just adjust the kebab stick. Though i must say this mouth flushing idea sounds good and will give it a try though i almost never have anyone to off side for me.