Hi all just after a bit of guidance as one person i have sold fish to is not happy with his purchase. After four days one has died and on day six tells me I need to take these fish back. In the begining of this he has sent a number of pms seeking help and I have made suggestions and offers to help and just want to know what you offer in a warranty if any thanks in advance.

Gavin

I know some shops will give a 24 hour one, but ya need to show a corpse AND have a water sample.

Even then its usually only a replacement fish not money back situation.

Hard to know without more details really. If a buyer has bought fish to wussy or small to go with their other fish and they are being murdered....... well they may have to setup another tank.

If its a new tank ammonia/nitrite poisoning situation then they better learn how to waterchange.

how many fish were sold?

losing one isnt so bad really if it was several

but then depends on species

If you buy fish of a forum is it not similar to buying a car from off a noticeboard???????????? You get the fish cheap as there is no warranty or shopfront and if the fish or car look fine then the deal is done. If the fish or car looked crappy then the deal isn't done. In the car situation isn't the rule "buyer beware"....................wouldn't that be the same for fish.

Once the fish has left your care how do you know what it went thrue, it may have ended up in water straight from the tap with a ph of god's know what, even toilet water? who knows.

I think it may depend on the "contact and discussions" with the other person, if they are reasonable and are able to go thrue what they did in the transition from your tank to theirs etc, then you may show some compassion but if the conversation goes like "ya sold me shite fish mate, n i want me money back" then I doubt you would want to be as helpful.

Maybe a pm to a mod re the section on sorting out probs between sellers and buyers maybe..........

There were nine fish in total wild cought and one was a little thin and the buyer was well aware of this and still said yes I'll take them. And now seems to think that some have passed it's my problem and I just don't thinks that's right its been two weeks and still getting pms saying it's my problem and I need to do something

No I'm not that kind of person well not till he started to be a bit of a pain even after that day he bought them I received a pm on how happy he was with the purchas and how nice it was to meet me and my family so a bit hard to tell him to suck it up

how did he transport em home..how far did he have to go..wats his tank like ..but yeah 4 days later it is possiably his folt not urs so i say wat the above post say

it is his fault by the sounds of things, i would be happy to give him a free fish or whatever after less than 24 hours but 4 days???

Bulu point tropheus they were in a 6x2x2 and a ph of 8.6 and feeding on osi sprulina flake after telling him all of this he told me he put them straight on sera flora a great food I think and they will not eat. but a change of diet that suddenly with wild fish I told him I'll buy a 200g tin of osi for him to help him out and he didn't bother

Yeah I've found that imported fish are very fragile in terms of diet change and water

Even at pH of 8.6 they are in a difference of 6 times their normal pH

Then wasting occurs for no reason

Could be food or water

Just another thing to learn, adds to experience

ah trofious........

the most frustrating of all the cichlids.

And wildcaught ones at that.

Unfortunately when you commit to them

and buy them

they become YOUR responsibility

if you are not ready for the potential stress

then dont buy them.

I would offer to rehome them for free

but I would not offer a refund in this case.

Depending on if I was feeling VERY charitable, MAYBE a refund on the ONE fish that died.

Even this I'd need proof of death for, say a picture with the tail cut off.

or a corpse

but thats not normal

thats being a nice bloke and being taken advantage of.

You cannot control what happens to them AFTER they leave your care.

Edited by DeadFishFloating

Glad to here that everyone would do the same thing that I have done just a shame that he still goes on about how he is going to spred the word and tell everyone about this hope people learn by this

its simple, I provide a warranty with my fish, its clear unless I really know that person then things could be are worked out with a replacement, I offer a standard "Driveway warranty" when your drive of my driveway so does the warranty ;), its the same with most live stock, fresh food, meats etc, as you can't follow what happens after they leave your good care, how long in the bag, bucket, was the introduction to the new system a hard or sof shock, were they attacked, you can't offer to support issues that you can't control

better to never do business with that person again, were they a forum member that we need to be aware off.

ben

I have told him that I have no issue with him going to the dispute section but have not heard anything from him about that maybe coming to his sence who knowsmaybe still to come funny that I am telling him to dispute the mater not the other way around lol

Gday Tangy,

Please send me all Pm's and notes regarding this issue so that I can see what I can do for you mate. Also thanks to all the members who gave this member some good advice.

Just to share how I personaly deal with fish sales...

1) describe fish that are to be sold in maximum detail (including any flaws)

2) make sure I discuss transport options for fish (bucket/bag etc)

3) offer buyer all peramiters of water that fish have been kept in

4) tell buyer what foods have been feed

5) once fish leve my posesion i ask buyer to contact me in 24hrs to check fish health (only if there is a concern aka newbie)

6) Once a fish is sold it is sold and if there are any issues with fish health and one dies (it does happen) then if fish died within 24hr period I would usualy exchange.

HOWEVER I do not give refunds on fish that have been baught and kept for over 5 days as by this time fish should have been aclimatised.

I will also add that When you are buying of a breeder for the first time it is also a good idea to not buy large quantities of fish if you dont know what conditions the fish have been kept in, Buy only buyinf small amounts to start with then you can see how good the quality/health of the fish that you are buying. This way of buying also can save you big dollers and also save huge headackes with loosing not just bought fish but your own.

Thanks bristlenosejohn For this offer of help but at this stage I don't won't to start anymore problems unless he continues on then gladly pass on that info I'm not here to name and shame people some might be but that's not how I work once again thanks for the offer and you will be the first to know if there is any issues

tropheus should not have their diet changed that quick

I firmly beleive that wildcaught tropheus need to be supplied a tank with crap loads of edible algae on all surfaces, so they can choose what they like.

When a tropheus stresses it can develope bloat, and dies over many days, to weeks.

were they an experienced tropheus keeper,? not the sort of fish to just go get wilds IMO. wilds are way more touchy..

I bought 13 wild chilambos once I had 4 left after 2 weeks, thats $110 per fish,, flushed, gone, forever, nearly a grand, done... I wanst happy, I however knew they hadnt been perfect I accepted the loss... its hurts but thats fish..

after 24hours of them receiving them its not your concern..hell some fish arnt even guaranteed a live arrival...