aterese

HELP: Fish disappearing

I had 5 fish disappear overnight.

2 were 10cm clown loaches introduced on the weekend (lasted 2 days) *sniff, my favs*

3 were 5cm africian cichlids (freebies)

I found a head only being eaten by a BN and a corpse (skeleton) for another. I am sure both were the cichlids.

I have mostly africian cichlids and yes some aggressive ones...but in the past a fish here or there dies and remains floating in the tank, no other fish eating it.

I am now uncertain if the fish died of something else, or if I have canibals in the tank with a big appetite. My levels are amonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0.1, ph 7.6-7.8.

I was told that BN (I have 6 introduced recently) will eat up corpses. Is it possible that the fish all died for some unknown reason (or maybe were attacked first) and then the BNs in only a evening ate all traces ?

Will the BN survive if I transfer to the tank with the Oscar (he ate one albino juvenile, but these BN are all 6cm+). Will that stop the disappearances maybe.

I'm kind of worrying about my last remaining 15cm clown loach....should I just transfer him to the oscar tank as he should be too big to get troubled by the 5cm oscar for now ?

the bns and loaches should be fine if the oscar is only 5cm check that theres no anchor worm killing the fish if there is i would just leave all the other fish in that tank cause they spread like rabbits look them up for the cure theres 2 ways to cure it

1. get the medicine

2. put them to sleep (dont take it to heart i am not trying to hurt ur feeling) this is the easyest way

dont do any of those thing till you hav found out they are actruly there

Sorry about the loss's... it sucks when you add new fish only to find them (or in your case not find them) dead a couple of days later.

Firstly I'd be more worried about the cichlids that are actually killing the fish in the first place not the bn's eating the corpse's...

Is it only the new fish that have disappeared?

What other african's are in the tank and how big are they?

How big is the tank?

No evidence of parasites and the fish are not scratching.

It seems to be a clown loach thing.

I had 3 of them with the cichlids originally and 1 by 1 they just disappeared. 1 did reappear a week later and then went for good.

This is the 2nd batch...I got them twice the size of the cichlids to give a better chance (if it was attacks).

I just can't figure them croking and being eaten in such a short time.

I have glass all over the top and no escape.

I have taken out every single item from the tank and aside from spreading the gravel (not that deep)....I swear there isn't a trace.

The other 3 cichlids I can understand as were introduced recently as freebies and who knew their history/health.

I'm speaking to the LFS tonight as paid $25 each for the loaches :(

we have clown loaches . when they where younger they would squeeze in to spots 1/2 there size and stay there for days . we would take everything out and shake them and nothing would fall out . i think some got stuck and died and we would find remands after a few days or even weeks. we found they felt safer in numbers 2 would hide all the time and 5 would swim around together . we have 100s of b/n and there is always something left when something dies :?:

The external has a tube with a covering at the end, so unless a 10cm clown loach can compress to a 2c piece slit, it couldn't go up the tube and then it would get stuck in the hose that is like 10cm piece. These were fat buggers.

I'm going to pull apart the canister tonight and also recheck the tank including the gravel.

I've been told that as they have no scales, it is the one fish that cichlids can attack AND eat happily. I also did find BN on the 2 dead cichlid corpses...given I have 7 in the tank I thought it is a possibility the buggers cleaned up supper fast.

I'll move the last loach into the oscar tank, as no bn there (oscar likes the taste of them).

Poor loach...they so were my favourite.

I have 4 clown loaches about 8-9cm that will hide inside bristlenose logs. I have sometimes taken these logs completely out of the tank, drained all the water out of them and put them aside. Moments later it occurs to me to check the logs again. Sure enough inside the logs I often find 2 clown loaches lying horizontally one on top of the other. They are often difficult to rinse out of the logs. They love to hide in the smallest of spaces. Check everything very, very closely.

I meant out of the top of the tank not up the pipe

I know I have seen them get out very small holes b4

and If you have any cats or anything these fish will dissappear very quicky

I dont think your BN have eaten them fully over night though

Brad

if they have been eaten you will find the skull. i really dont think BN would be able to eat a 10cm clown loaches skull.

you probably already know this by now but clown loaches are notorious for hiding in hard to get to places. i would be checking in every little hiding place before assuming they are dead.. otherwise if theyre not anywhere in there, and you do have a small gap in your lid and a cat then id say thats where they might have gone..

Just in case I rescued my other loach and put him with the oscar who ignored him totally.

I checked all the possible places (only have 2 ceramic logs, 1 rubber rock, few plants, 1 small ship and 1 big cave.....not a trace of the loaches. I checked all around the tank outside and lids are firmly (fitted to the mm) in place. The only gap is where the tubing comes out for the filter and I checked all around this area careful.

No cats at home and I have been looking around the tank every day anyway.

With time tomorrow I swear I'll check every piece of gravel :)

How big is the tank?

How long has it been running for?

How often are you doing water changes?

Is this the same tank that had the oscar with whitespot?

If so, how long did you treat the tank for?

Where you doing gravel vacs, during the treatment?

How often do you clean the canister & how do you clean it?

How do you add new water to the tank? As in is it neutralised before adding etc.

How much water do you change during water changes?

I think that will do for now.

Frenchy :sheep:

Are you sure they didn't have a particularly viralent form of ich (white spot)?

Clown loaches are notorious for getting ich especially when being introduced to a new tank and during winter. Little 5cm cichlids probably had not much resistance either.

My choice of treatment would be Waterlifes Protozin. It should be fine for cl's and bn's. I have just finished treating panda corydoras which got ich (only in the tail) a few days after I bought them. They seem to be fully cured now.

Dear Frenchy,

How big is the tank?

5ft

How long has it been running for?

5-6wks, was started with Stability

How often are you doing water changes?

weekly

Is this the same tank that had the oscar with whitespot?

he was introduced after first batch of fish died (ghost knife, loaches, angel, corys)

If so, how long did you treat the tank for?

he came in and within days developed whitespot, I then after 1 more day (total 3 in tank) moved to another tank

I initially treated the 5ft tank and twice more after he left it....every 3 days

i treated the tank I moved him into for 2 weeks, till no whitespot symptoms

Where you doing gravel vacs, during the treatment?

yes, as I also increased water changes and was vacuuming then

How often do you clean the canister & how do you clean it?

I have cleaned the foam twice in 6 weeks, I check weekly and only remove bulk waste (plants) with a net, I don't touch the water (leave in canister)

I haven't washed the bioballs or noodles in the 6 weeks as didn't want to disturb the cycling.

I was going to change the medium this weekend (ie. middle trays to Matrix, wash the bioballs in tank water, wash the top sponges)

I obviously don't use tap water.

I was also considering removing the canister water (which is pretty dirty even if the tank itself is clear) and refilling canister with tank water.

How do you add new water to the tank? As in is it neutralised before adding etc.

I drain one bucket at a time. Then after all drained (6 buckets), I add back 1 bucket at a time.

For each bucket I fill with tap water luke warm, then I add Prime (or was using plain neutralising in first weeks).

For last bucket I check the temp gauge and if temp has increased (sometimes 1deg), I use cold water for that last bucket.

How much water do you change during water changes?

20-30%....did a 40% only once 4 weeks in (1 week after whitespot) because nitrates jumped suddenly. I then added purigen to the canister and also did the 40% change. Within 2 days everything was reading right on levels and I skipped that weekends water change. I left the purigen for 1 week (as it didn't brown until then).

Hope that's informative enough of my processes :)

I meant out of the top of the tank not up the pipe

Brad

As I mentioned in chat....was real funny watching me dissect the canister and look in the bottom, layers and tubes.

Then I checked the outside of the tank again.

In my head I knew they surely couldn't go up the pipes...but I didn't want to leave ANY advice not tried *L*.

Are you sure they didn't have a particularly viralent form of ich (white spot)?

Clown loaches are notorious for getting ich especially when being introduced to a new tank and during winter. Little 5cm cichlids probably had not much resistance either.

My choice of treatment would be Waterlifes Protozin. It should be fine for cl's and bn's. I have just finished treating panda corydoras which got ich (only in the tail) a few days after I bought them. They seem to be fully cured now.

Loaches never showed any symptoms of white spot, nor have any other fish.

I did do a Multicure treatment the day after they disappeared this time round....just to be safe so to speak.

Plus having disease and dying is one thing....but totally disappearing within 8 hours is another.

That is better... The problem with finding out really what is wrong with peoples tanks, sometimes you need to ask a heap of questions. Other wise we are all just having a wild stab in the dark. A lot easier when face to face, yes pain in the arse when typing.

I don't know if it is advisable to use purigen on a tank that is meant to be cycling. Brad sells the stuff, maybe he can confirm.

Stability isn't what I would recommend to cycle a tank.

I would say the whitespot has come in with the first bunch of fish you got.

As for water changes, I wouldn't bother use warm water from the tap either, no point.

There is a good chance your tank is still carrying whitespot as well.

Frenchy :sheep:

Found my loaches :)

Turned out they were in the ends of the ship....spotted the cute pink flesh.

So how they survived in the ship outside the tank whilst I searched and cleaned for 1 hour I have no idea.

But I was sooooo excited to see my babies and reintroduce to big pappa, plus 5 new junior loaches thanks to Brad. I bet they'll love their new tank and being in a nice size group now.

I retested water too and all tanks are doing well now. Just have to be careful with water changes and the BN.