Hennessy

Sealed Styrofoam box ok for fish transport?

Title sums it up.... Ive got a styro box, one of those sealed one's with the lid. Seen them at the auctions. Is it safe to transport fish? I'm aware that I'll still have to ensure the fish's environment stays comfortable (space, temp, handling etc) but in terms of contamination from the polyurethane? I know its terrible for our lungs but is it ok for them?

Cheers

Henzo

Gday Henzo

I would advise against putting them directly into the styrofoam - I would have it lined with a fish safe bag. The reason for this is that depending on the fish, they may ingest small pieces of the foam that may break off during transport either from the fish or just general handling - this can end up tragically.

Can I ask what you are trying to move? If it is small enough to put in a bag (or multiple bags for multiple fish) then just place the bag/s in the box. If it is too big for a bag or bucket then I would suggest getting a plastic tub with a lid from a hardware store. These are not expensive and can be used for staorage in the fish room after the move.

Foam is also a great holder of contaminants - if the box has come in contact with something that it shouldnt have for fish health sake, it will not work out well.

HTH

cheers

Drew

I was at BCF yesterday and they have collapsible bags meant for using for live bait, but they would be great for transporting fish. They have a little pocket on the side to hold your battery aerator and a zippered mesh top to stop the fish jumping out. There were a couple of sizes, the biggest one was $19.95.

Cheers, Doug