Here is my new addition to the tank list

Tank

3 x 18 x 20

Substrate

Frazer Island Sand

Filtration

1 x Aqua One Aquis Advanced 1050

1 x Aqua One Aquis 1200

Both filters soon to be replaced with just the one Eheim 2217 that is currently running in the tank

1 x ANS iFlo Filtration Set 17mm Lillypipes (to be put in there soon)

Lighting

1 x Hagen GLO Twin T5 HO light unit.

2 x Hagen GLO Tubes

Heating

1 x Aqua One 300W Heater, To be Upgraded to a Hydor Inline heater as soon as they become available.

Hardscape

Melaleuca (have about 6 more pieces to use from as well that can easily be put in at any stage that are all three foot full pieces as this scape only uses 1)

Plants

Indian Almond Leaves and peat layer (yet to be a full layer throughout the substrate)

Fish

8 x Corydoras Melini

7 x Corydoras Atropersonatus

2 x Apistogramma Trifasciatus (breeding pair)

20 x Lemon Tetras

Soon to put in 15 x Dwarf Pencilfish and replace the lemon tetras

The aim is to get a rio nanay/tigre biotope where both of my corydoras are from, however the apistogrammas I am unsure about? But could not pass up such a beautiful breeding pair. Will hopefully be putting in some apistogrammas that relate to this area if the trifasciatus arent from this specific area.

Some small changes need to be made to the scape as such, including more low lying wood from the wood I still have spare (6 3 foot pieces I can cut up and use) and give them more of a "hut" style layout. I am still playin around with the scape as such and getting it right but the fish are loving the environment and the very low pH :)

First thing is first (which I know many will comment on instantly) is the hydor inline heater needs to go in the tank ASAP as the sight of this ugly aqua one heater is just ruining the scape. And also I need to be a better photographer so I can really show what the aquascape is like rather than my dodgey pics. Will update once more wood is added and it is more "filled out" on the bottom with more of a nest of wood throughout whole bottom.

FULL tank shots:

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

i love it!!! great work mate. you cant beat the melaluca hey.

what camera you using??

oh and are you planning on the apistos breeding in there with the corys??

Matt.

its free.

i did a drive around and found some melaleucas in some local parks and just picked up branches off the ground. not sure if this is legal but i wasnt ripping down live branches, just saving the ground keepers some time.

also have a friend with one in his yard, so every now and then i turn up with a saw and cut down a nice big chunk of something. want to dig it up one day for the root system :)

its too expensive to buy imo.

could I see a pic Kasman? cos that sounds a liitle too good to be true LOL. I bought mine cheep. I have a melaluka in my yard, big too

could I see a pic Kasman? cos that sounds a liitle too good to be true LOL. I bought mine cheep. I have a melaluka in my yard, big too

a pic of what?

I have dug up root system of a melaleuca my mate was cutting down and ripping out. Far better than anything above ground. All the pieces that sell are roots not branches. I have a mixture of both spare in my garage and Brissy I can provide photos of the branches if you wish but in my experience the branches are boring in comparison to the root structure that you buy from Fishchicks supplied from Steve Baines.

I would not go collecting in parks just incase it is illegal to be honest or creek systems. But to be honest the prices of the melaleuca are not expensive when you go to the right place and pick out the right pieces. It is more a waiting game until good stock becomes available. It may not be there instantly and that is what sucks but when it is available buy big. It is not dear at all. And to be honest the quality of the stuff steve baines collects and the stuff a normal person collect do not even compare in quality. His is exceptional :)

Edited by discus_noob

I have dug up root system of a melaleuca my mate was cutting down and ripping out. Far better than anything above ground. All the pieces that sell are roots not branches. I have a mixture of both spare in my garage and Brissy I can provide photos of the branches if you wish but in my experience the branches are boring in comparison to the root structure that you buy from Fishchicks supplied from Steve Baines.

true true Adam, the root sytems are much better. and you pay for the hard work of someone digging it up, so in saying that its worth the money. thats what i love about the piece in your tank, such a nice tangle which gives a natural feel. have you thought of some frogbit in there??

Was messing around with the tank tonight. Got a few things done with improving the hardscape and also added a tonne more peat (excuse the massive peat whirlpool currently taking place that replicates a massive haze in the water column.

I still need to make some changes to the hardscape but it is improving to a better standard. I also need to add some more leaves and more peat over time and let it all break down :)

I am happy with where this tank is heading I just need to wait for my inline heater to be ordered once Age of Aquariums get them back in stock. Once they are back in stock then it will be nearing its finishing stage.

FOR NOW IM HAPPY

IMG_3784-Copy.jpg

IMG_3790-Copy.jpg

There is plenty of leaf breakdown and mulm and peat build up within the woodwork on the bottom layer and also throughout the whole floor substrate just cannot see in the pictures and more of a see in real life tank haha. I will have Zane come round tomorrow so he can leave a comment on the tank in person when he sees it.

I will update the tank pics once the peat cloudstorm has settled down as I recon it will make it look ten thousand times better once it is crystal clear tank :)

bit of an update

some pics I took and since things have settled down. Unsure if I am happy with the top half of the tank but the bottom is definitely finished with addition of some more leaves and peat to come

FTS:

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3801.jpg

Male Apistogramma Trifasciata

IMG_3819.jpg

Corydoras Atropersonatus chilling in the mulm and gunk that replicates how it should be

IMG_3805.jpg

Corydoras Atropersonatus and Apistogramma Trifasciatus female

IMG_3810.jpg

Adam

Discus Noob, love what you've down with those roots. Those complex root pieces are really hard to get.

Seems I have been asking too much for my pieces,so I'll take 20% off the asking price for these pieces (http://www.qldaf.com/forums/dry-goods-13/sale-melaleuca-roots-44186/). There are some good root pieces amongst them. I have recently put some pieces to a 4 foot (see last pic on link) and am setting up 6 foot Australian biotype so everyone can see how these pieces can be arranged in a tank.

Bit of an Update;

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

I am pretty much finished with this tank thank god haha....Only changes are the odd 8 to 10 leaves once every two weeks and the addition of more peat every second week as well.... It is all travelling great and am very happy with how it is going. The trifasciata fry are still being heavily guarded by the female and still alive so fingers crossed.

Adam

UPDATE

The hardscape got ripped up a long time ago now and was all left floating ontop. I finally pulled my finger out last night and decided to do something about it. I now am running inline heater and cleaned out the filtration and pipes and done a massive tidy up. Added 7 x corydoras adolfois to the tank also to add to my corydoras collection. Bloody active cories the adolfois in this tank :)

Anyway here it is;

IMG_5309.jpg

IMG_5330.jpg

Looks so average in photos and looks so flat, but is far different in real life. In real life it is so many branches and roots everywhere and all twisted up and has a tonne more depth in real life than these photos show. I rescaped it to give the apistogramma sp. Tefes more cover and more spots to breed on as I am hoping to have some success with the Tefes in the not so distant future with laying. Going to remove the lemons, add ruby tetras instead as I just love rubies and maybe some gold tetras :)