wombat

"wild caught" advice

Does anyone have any experience or advice they wouldn't mind sharing on keeping wild caught cichlids. My main concerns are whether the fish will have trouble adapting, eating, breeding etc. Thanks.

Before any wild caught fish arrive here in Oz, They have gone through that much drama, boats ,planes quaranteen, more transport etc that any stable conditions are usually welcomed. Somewhere to hide appropriate to the species. Or even cover the tank in darkness for 24hr. Depends on how the fish is doing.

Some fish spawn when conditions are perfect, others need a triger which can be any thing from a water change to not doing a water change.. but they should eat. But probably will not bite your finger as you feed them because to them you are a predator

just my opinion

So what are you gettin???????

Evan

Thanks for the info, Evan.

Still in negotiations, but it will be some tangs.

BIG investment, but we think it will be worth it.

Just need to come up with the $$. Might be a few fish for sale soon to fund it.

:wink:

I bought some wild caught frontosa last year, and I found them to be far less "skittish" or shy than tank bred frontosa I have had in the past. When you think about it, wild caught fish are held in holding tanks in at least 3 different places before they get to you, and probably taken out to be inspected by various authorities and interested purchasers god knows how many times. I found my wild caught frontosa to be very active, constantly roaming the tank interacting with each other and the other inhabitants, and looking for food. I also found them to have very healthy appetites, readily taking whatever food I offereed, and they absolutely love live food (especially little blue dolphins). Oh yes, and they bred for me 2 months after I got them. I say go for it, you will love them.

Cheers, Doug