kasman

Single american for 3ft x 18 x 18 - what choices do I have?

Hey guys

I have some 3ft x 18 x 18's (180L) Im setting up. (I know theyre small but its all I got)

Would I be pushing sh_t up hills to have a single cuban in one of them??

I would like a single male american. Can someone help me with a suggestion?

Thanks

Matt.

I'm not the best with americans, but I go thats just a bit too small, not just tanksize but you'd want some pretty awesome filtration on it (what are you using?).

But hopefully one of the american keepers can chime in (fish junkie?)

how about you look into the dwarf american species. you could get a pair and breed them in there. As for most other americans you could house them in that while they are smaller but as they grow larger up to 12 inches in length you would need to upgrade their tank size

yep, Iv got rams and had apistos but I'm craving something big :).

Just thought I'd see what people thought as i dont know everything thats out there.

Otherwise if the urge doesnt go I'll have to get an adequate sized tank.

Putting a 10 inch fish in my 3 x 18 x 18 is the equivalant of having a Dovii (24inch) in a 7ft x 3.5ft x 3.5ft (which would seem acceptable) based on fish length ratio to tank length, width and overall volume.

Am I going a bit crazy or does this make sense?? please shoot me if my OCD is bothering you... haha.

I personally wouldn't keep a dovii in less than an 8ft. But I like to provide swimming room. Like my GT is around 4-5 inchs and his 4x2x2 is looking to small to me.

You probably "can" keep one in that size tank with proper filtration and lots of waterchanging.

Wether it'll be happy though is another question.

You could grow one out in there if you were set on getting a bigger tank down the line.

I reckon you would be right with a Cuban, As long as you keep on top of the WC's, They should have a 55gal (200L), so imo I think you would be right, Plus he will still be able to move around comfortably when he is full grown in that size tank.

To get the best out of your display american you really need a female for him to show off to - so I would sugget you try and get a pair in your 3' display.

You need to stick to the smaller species of Americans but I think you have quite a range to choose from.

Here's my top three suggestions

1. Firemouth Pair

2. Elliotti Pair - just beware - many of the elliotti on the mark at the moment have curved spines

3. Red Tailed Acara or they might be Red Tailed Curviceps - not sure? - but I saw some at Smiths on the weekend and they were pretty nice and I think they would colour up well.

There are heaps of others you could consider as well - rainbow, convict, blueeye, kribensis (not American but an option)

Good luck with it.

Thats some good advice there Vegas, thanks.

I did originally have Firemouths "pencilled in" for this tank, but got off track and started thinking (dreaming) of a slightly bigger single male. And good point about the single male having no-one to show off to.

I'll have to go check out these Red Tail Acara's, Smiths isnt far from me.

No probs.

The redtails caught my eye on the weekend and I think they would colour up really nicely.

Maybe you could buy a few of them and grow them up and allowing a pair to naturally form. The tank at Smiths might already have a pair in it you could get.

You might also want to talk to Mark about other options - he has a lot of nice americans in at the moment.

I might go to Smiths too and have a look - probably one of the better LFS on the Northside for fish stock.

Kasman, is there an option you can set up a bigger tank or are you happy with the 3'? The bigger your tank the more options you have.

May I ask why you want to stay with American? You could have a few Africans in various colour in the 3'... Some nice blue, yellow, red. Don't want to change your mind at all but Africans don't quite get as big as most Americans.

I have Africans and Americans and I have to say that while my Oscar is a gorgeous orange, the blue that some of my Africans display is just spectacular. Also the Yellow and red that Africans put out is just beautiful

haha, your on the money there Woodie on a few things.

Nope, not happy with the 3fters....I was when I bought them, funny that.

I got them cheap. Im new to fish so theres alot of species I havent kept that would fit nicely in there. But for some reason Im just keen to get something big atm.

Africans - already got another 3 fter full of em. Love em. Maingano, flavus, saulosi and kingseizi. Always something going on in that tank.

Plus my 2 rams in the 2 fter are all the fish I own.........besides the shubunkin in a plastic tub upstairs if they count!

So there you go. I suppose with the big american Id be thinking of it more as a pet rather than a fish. You know what I mean?

In saying all that, I do have the option to have one big mother of a tank. its just the $$$$$ to set it up.

I put this on another thread.

But in my mind you would be happy with an electric blue Jack dempsey.

maybe some red swordtails to keep it company.

yea they get prettier when they have a girl to show off too..... but a happy one is still incredibly awesome

and a mirror works well if ya ever need to show it off or take a photo

and with only 1 ya dont have the cost/domestic drama that a pair can =

I am soooooo hearing you Kasman. Want it all now lol

maybe and only maybe if you can resist all the temptation this site offers lol, save your money and buy a 6 x 2 x 2 and set it up as a nice display tank. I just bought one and am stripping the stand down tomorrow and repainting it then refreshing the tank as best I can (try and remove a few scratches). The 6 x 2 x 2 is at a nice height and a good size to keep some nice big fish.

It will be sumped which is almost ready. I'll be happy to show you when i have it up and running.

I started with a 2 foot tank, then progressed to a 2 foot 6" and then a 4 footer and now i have a 6 x 18 x 18.

I think i would have saved a lot of money had I just gone straight for the larger tank...I'm also finding the larger tank takes less maintenance for some funny reason...Others may be able to explain this better.

If you want some help or ideas (not that I'm a veteran) I'd be happy to lend a hand

I am soooooo hearing you Kasman. Want it all now lol

haha of course you do, qldaf is just an alcoholics anonymous forum for us fish keepers isnt it, but we're proud of it.

hmmm, I was in 2 minds about gettin the big tank, but Id have to get rid of my other tanks that was the deal with wife, bless her cotton socks.

so I think for now I like Deadfish's suggestion of a EBJD. I did look at these earlier because they max out at 8-9 inches.

A friend of mine (who is not into fish) told me I need to go to FTA (Fish Tanks Anonymous) to which i replied, I have been and I don't have a problem other than the lack of money to buy more lol

I only have the 1 tank running with a view to putting something living in the other 7 in my shed....which include:

1 x 8

1 x 6

3 x 4

2 x 3

I too am only allowed the one tank - or a couple to a few smaller ones which must run on the same amount of power - I went the big option and now wish i went the smaller lol

I wish the dreams would stop..... lmao