Hi all.

Im going to attempt to build a Pvc canister filter to suit a 6x2x2.

I have a 2200lph powerhead pump pvc etc just wanted some advice on pvc cement and prefered silicon if someone with expirience could help would be much apprieciated

Um Jim,

I'm only asking, not judging or anything but why wouldn't you just build a sump?

You might find its 1 easier to build, and 2 easier to maintain on that size tank.

Some people love their cannisters and thats great but if you want to build a filtration system, I would have thought a sump would just be easier :)

I am in no way an expert in this hobby even at this stage. I've only been seriously keeping fish for about 2 years but I have built a sump and I have drilled the holes in my tank. I really didn't find anything beyond my capabilities.

I'd be happy to help if you build a sump but I have no idea how to build a cannister filter :)

Yer im with woodie on this one, make a DIY sump instead.

You can make them out of plastic containers instead of glass aswell, which is advised if you yourself cannot cut glass so that it is easy to set up and change :D.

I have seen some very good ones over my time in the hobby.

nd for a 6x2x2 i would be going sump anyways, much easier to maintain and clean aswell.

thanks for the input guys I was going canister just to avoid drilling holes in the tank. If I could get some help with the sump and or some instructions, list of needed materials etc. it would be appreciated

Jim,

Drilling holes in your tank is really no biggy....all you need to ensure is that your tank is made from float glass (99% are, but some you will find have "undrillable" bases)

That sorted, all you need to establish is how big you want your filtration.

My tank (6 x 2 x 2) will have 2 x 32mm bulkheads for pick ups and 1 x 25mm bulkhead for the return.

Now others will have different ideas since most of us have played around and tried different things....ultimately I think we all come to the same result.

So, Its completely up to you really after having taken in some information some of which will be vital to the successful operation of your filtration system.

I can show you 2 different "designs" of mine and both work very well. However other's will have different set ups.

My suggestion is to meet people who have sumps. Have a look at their set ups (if they will show you) and then gather all that information (take a really big note book and a couple of pens) and decide how you want to run your plumbing. It does sound very complicated but really it's not that bad when you check out a few set ups.

You are welcome to check mine out and the one I'm building since you're not terribly far from me.

However I feel building a sump will be much easier than a cannister because a cannister works on a vacuum so that when the power goes off you don't lose any water....A sump is a little difference but this is taken into account which can be explained in much greater detail either in person or via PM because it can be rather long winded in me trying to help you understand it.

HTH