Sign in to follow this  
Brengun

Serious aquascaping attempt

My poor old 3ft community tank had seen better days.

The gravel was so deep, I couldn't vac it well.

The plants were being eaten by clownloaches amonst others.

This before photo was taken when things weren't too bad, it went downhill from then.

IMG_3853.jpg

I started a new tank and the featherfins and danios are gone from the 3ft community and the angelfish, SAE and clowns will be going to the new tank when its stable.

I plan to put my 4 common bristlenoses in this 3ft tank so I thought I would spruce it up a bit.

Not a lot of point to fixing plants atm but they will get some attention later.

I spent hours painstakingly removing the thick gravel and it was chockers full of rubbish. I vac'd and carefully netted it out but at times, I couldn't even see the fish!

I installed a canister filter, aquaworld 1100 and that cleared a lot of my mess, together with the large sponge filter and power filter.

To hold back the remaining gravel and to make it look like a beach retaining wall, I put smooth pebbles against it.

Then I put in sand and a soaked piece of driftwood. I had sawn it to fit a few days ago and the saw marks haven't faded down yet.

I also added a new jager heater, complete with heaterguard for when the bristlenose get moved in.

IMG_4363.jpg

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

IMG_4359.jpg

good idea with the 2 types of substrate one of my many ideas for a tank is to have a tank with half half river sand and half 3mm gravel so if i put fresh water souls in they have a aplace toi hide ill probly throw in some barra archers all the natives and half planted one day thow

Nice - this sort of tank is a challenge to get right.

If I may be so bold - a couple of suggestions. This style tank is generally done so as to produce a stream like effect with planting to the sides. I think the stream need to be a bout 1/2 as wide and put at an angle. This means tha when the plants gron and you have a nice lush growth - you can;t see the end of the stream. This creates the illusion of depth.

I would put the driftwood on the river bank and turn it around 180 degrees so that it overhangs the river.

I would also suggest losing the backgound - go for a plain colour contact - black or blue. The tank concept would look awesome with a black background and black gravel - would work real well on the black in your rocks to.

One more thing - that pot on the left is awesome - Would be so good for breeing apistogramma. Where did you get that.

I got the cave from http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/show ... ight=caves

Assuming a lot if you think I am any good at growing plants of any quality. There is usually a bit of this and that growing but never lush and green as I only use a bit of florish excell and thats it.

I ended up removing the gravel and pot from the left side. It seemed to be a no mans land and fish seldom visited it. Now that section is all sand with a bit of anubias on a little driftwood. Filtration to the canister at the rear seems to have improved with just a flat sand area there as well.

I only have to gravel vac the right side every so often for maintainance.

Sign in to follow this