mortie

fish room setups

Hi i want to setup a fish room, I cant decide on a cost effective (electricity) but very efficient filtration setup. Any ideas or tips would the appreciated.

1. Sump with media, coral and heater etc.

2. High volume air pump with sponge filter and a heater to worm up the fish room.

3. Sump for the African and plum in to the baby/grow out tanks and high volume air pump for the bristle nose and the heater for the hole room.

Imo 3. seems the best.

Thanks Josh

All depends on how many tanks your are running really. Personally I would worry about insulation first, then worry about setup. Spend the money on insulating the room with the best you can afford and watch your powerbill drop. With a properly insulated fish room its quite easy for a 300w jager to effeciently heat 4000L of water, as it does in my fish room in winter, if I want the water higher than 24 degrees that its. Also keep windows isulated with a removable panel in winter, and spend the extra money on a solid door, not one of the cheap hollow ones.

Then running sumps are the way to go IMO, 1 300w heater per average sized system, some heat will also dispersed from your submersible pump aswell helping reduce heating costs. However I also run multiple sponge filters aswell as a backup incase a pump dies, better safe than sorry. As for sump pumps, I bought a 10000L/H pump from kenster and it only uses 90W of power, cheap as chips to run plenty of tanks.

In my experience, in a fully insulated room, 1 heated sytem will also heat up the room enough for some tanks to run off the sytem but still be within a degree of water temp of that system.

When I originally set up my fish room as above, I doubled how many tanks I was running yet my powerbill dropped by $500 in just 1 quarter.

Hope that helps in some way.

Ron

Mortie, Ronny has given great information for you, exactly the same for me and electricity got better not worse. Look at the wattage your equipment currently is, and there are some really efficient products out there. Tunze make some great items that you do not hear about on the forum and hard to find in stores and they are great quality. Heaters are very deceptive in getting a 300w long heater is better then other heaters even with a lower wattage and Jagger seem to be the norm. Eheim is good and is what I use for sump pumps.