easiest way is with rainwater or distilled water. both are soft and hence wont retain high ph as water containing mineral salts does. you can also use hydrochloric acid,sodium bisulphate, peat moss etc but i find rainwater lowers my ph effectively. i do however keep mostly american cichlid spp. so its the easiest way for me HTH ;)

most common method used by beginers is 'pH down'

usually sodium biphosphate

but ya gotta be careful, overuse can really see a massive algae bloom in ya near future

what sort of fish do ya keep?

what pH do you have?

what pH do you want?

no sense messing with it

if what you have

is going to work well anyway

oddfish_2.jpg

i was reading that white vinegar can be used as well. I know my rain water has shifted from being 6.5-7 to 7-7.5 recently, not sure why, unless it was because we have used up really low ph water that was at the bottom of the tank so now the new water that is going in is a bit higher. I am yet to use vinegar to see how it goes and the dosage.

rainwater tank water can get very low in ph for a few reasons. one is the amount of crud,leaf matter etc its filter through and that get into the tank do form a decomposing sludge. another reason is that rainwater in a tank can go "stagnant" and allow all/most dissolved oxygen to be released and replaced with gases from the rotting matter. co2 and sulfides etc. this will decrease ph and this is the likely cause of fluctuation. clean the tank out and fit a filter sock that can be purchased on ebay. in real terms collected rain water in australia should be between 6.4-7.2 odd dependant on tank type,roof and gutter condition HTH