LS1silvia

Cichlid ID? I have no idea.

Found this flapping in some mud after all the floods. Threw it in my pond, cleaned out pond tonight in preperation for the cold. Hes a bit skinny, shows some blue and yellow, doesnt look like a tilapia? haha any ideas?

Sorry for the crappy picturepost-4759-14711624492578_thumb.jpg

that picture actually makes me think of a protomelas species...

maybe a female spilonotus tanzania?

pro-spilonotustanzania-spilono%20org%20belly.jpg

pictures of

Oreochromis mossambicus

■O.mossambicus can grow to more than 36 cm and can live up to 13 years. They have pale olive to silver-grey bodies with two to five indistinct dark blotches on the side

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtyOKVT-mnWrRP51eTZ1GyFdLJqikZ1TGVWgBkLpgsICiRoRiM

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvcSP7V50dlcbXNlrtKtZw7OThSNOdUcl5bqf9Ntfqnxb9u1Crxg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3zxQ9J6VnV-grSrr6VHIwp_yrTtm7fm1-5WJf1jM2Z-D6eBVK

Edited by DeadFishFloating

Lol i almost said barred grunter until i opened the pic for a better look. lol

Your on the right track there donny deff a Proto sp.

the hardest things the lack of color..:(

Maybe Mara Rock ??

The hardest thing with Proto sp. along with most Aulonocara and others

As it sometimes very difficult to tell what the females are so there prone to crossbreeding, it could be anything.

Edited by FIIK

the fish there seemed, for want fo a better term, depressed haha. Maybe it was the cold. You could see them, hit them in the head with the bait, and they didnt care

Give me a mystery river any day.

That top tilapia in the net kinda looks the part :S. New photos in a few days. It seems a bit more, built, than the usuall proto

What exactly is the specias of tilapia in our rivers?

aS IT SETTLES IN, ITS COLOURING MORE AND MORE LIKE A TILAPIA. wHICH WOULD MAKE SENCE

which asks the question, how much trouble can i get in for keeping it? Its kinda become a pet because of the way i found it...

Hey Man,

Quite a hefty fine for taking Tilapia from the wild and keeping it live at home. You can't even take them home dead as bait, must be killed and left on site far enough away from the water that it cannot return.

I think the fine is somewhere around $30k or $50k per offence. Tilapia in QLD contain many species, they use this as a generic term for anything of cichlid appearance. I've caught and seen all sorts of variations of Tilapia, different colours, different fins etc... the ones up North for example, are far more black than the ones from down Brisbane way (they are Black Mangrove Cichlids). Haven't seen any with fin spots as you've pictured.

Might be a good candidate for a freezer ceremony?

yeah its tilapia spp. i have caught these before in local creeks and i know this spp is in oxley creek so makes sense as to the location found, though i personally dont think they are either oreochromis mossambicus or tilapia mariae. it could be another variant, a hybrid who knows? it is a noxious spp however and should be destroyed or offered up to the dpi for futher classification?