Chris G

Only getting female Endlers

Ok so my colony started off with 5 females and 7 males. They have been breeding away for about 2 months and i have been told that like guppies you can tell the colour relatively early, well i can not see 1 male other then the original. Is there any reason why? maybe water paramounts anything ?????

I no females is what everyone is after but i want some males so i can get some more colour in my tank haha

yer from Jeff haha thats so weird um not sure and suppose to be doing assignments so will check later :P But yer mines tap water so would be about the same, i might give josh a call tomorrow and see whats up with jeffs stock :P in a nice way just ask him why i only get females haha

I believe this is normal. I recall reading something about it a while back

It was along the lines that different water conditions result in the ratio of young being very slanted. Ie more females at ph and temp at say 7.2 and 25 degrees. And more males at a higher temp and lower ph. Might be worth slowly changing the conditions and see what ratio of fry you get.

I received about 50 new endlers a few weeks ago. Thus far there is only 5 or 6 males and the rest females. Have a look onthe net.

I believe this is normal. I recall reading something about it a while back

It was along the lines that different water conditions result in the ratio of young being very slanted. Ie more females at ph and temp at say 7.2 and 25 degrees. And more males at a higher temp and lower ph. Might be worth slowly changing the conditions and see what ratio of fry you get.

That's where I was heading, I didn't know temp was a factor though, good to know.

Low and extreme high temps produce females, the moderate ie recomended mid temps are what will produce 50/50 batches or batches leaning to higher males .Get some unrelated males from outside and be happy with what you have .You are off to a good start .

source? +10

Mine aren't although some females are getting pretty close. As i said only had them for a couple months but someone told me who was looking to swap males that they colour up early so hence the questioning. But my tank is at 25 degrees so i would say thats mid, so hopefully when they are all fully grown there is 50/50.

Guppy Guy - i am planning on doing just that :)