thejosh

Indian Almond Leaves

Hey guys and gals,

Is there anywhere in Aus that sells Indian Almond Leaves that you can buy online? Also, has anyone bought them off ebay in the tea bags? If so, how long do you leave them in the tank for?

Thanks,

Josh

Leave them in the tank till they fully break down and turn into mulm it is up to you how long you want to leave them in there for. I use sand substrate and have a layer of peat floating ontop with the leaves broken down. I do not touch my substrate what so ever during water changes and just let them break down.

Buy from Bettawon ;) so cheap!!!

Do you really have to use those leaves or will other leaves do just as well, provided they are dried properly and not too soft so that they don't break down too fast?

I have used leaves from a fig tree in the yard in a bucket of tap water. The pH was down to 6 after a day and stayed there. they don't seem to be breaking down too fast either (in there for a good week now).

Haven't tried them with any fish yet, though. just playing around while waiting for my tanks to arrive.

The benefits of IAL is great. Here is a site for you guys who question IAL leaves oh and they also sell at dirt cheap prices and replace if confiscated by customs for some stupid reason (they have done it in the past and it is completely fine to import).

Bettawan Indian Almond Leaves, IAL, Indian Almond Leaves, Terminalia Catappa

read the pages on each of the sub titles and you will get an understanding. Jodi also uses them throughout her tanks at fishchicks and also uses them in her quaranteen tanks according to her website. (NOT saying they are amazing) I just like to use them personally on my apisto tanks and think they look great and once they are half broken down they work even better. The corydoras love them to pieces and also provides them with a shelter and any female apistos a place to hide while the male is on a rampage after her.

WOW!!!!! You guys pay a fortune!!! My uncle lives in Cairns n they grow on the side of the road up there. He use to bring me a couple shopping bags stuffed full when ever he visited. I have seen them in fishchicks for $8 for 2 leaves. Glade I don't pay those prices.

what types of fish can you use these for??

what type can't you use these for???

what type of fish shouldn't be without these????

i did a bit of reading of the links, but couldn't find anything about what fish can or can't it be used for, apart from fighters, shrimp and plecos,

i'm guessing bn would also love them?

thanks cav, did some more research and found this on bettawan website,

"These leaves are ideal for betta, discus, gouramis, killiefish, tetras, arrowana’s, angelfish, South American dwarf cichlids, corys, plecos, some rasboras some cat-fishes and crustaceans, shrimps just love to chew on them."

looks like we will have to get some for our display tank when its restocked, it will have angels, plecos, and bn in it to start, :),

They are actually 7 dollars for 10 leaves at fishchicks. and the best prices are from the website I advertised. Bettawan. Their website is the cheapest for IAL around and quality service. Soon Dave from Aquagreen will have stacks for us too.

We are pretty much the same price. We use it all the Discus and Community systems and new stressed out discus go straight into hospital tanks with a IAL bath. All of our fighters get it in a tea in their holding tanks. Aqua Blue also sells it as a concentrate but I'm not sure of the price off my head.