I got up at 3am one night and looked at my tank temps on a very cold night. Some had dropped from 26c to 22c and the heaters were going flat out. 8O

My solution, I put tank backgrounds on the back but it wasn't enough.

I had a roll of Bunnings insulation paper which I had bought ages ago when renovating houses, so sorry I don't remember what it cost, but maybe a builder might have offcuts if you ask.

I cut the paper just the same as a background (do not use your best dressmaking scissors), and sticky taped it on the back and sides of the tank.

Now on a cold night, temps do drop a weensy bit but no where near like what they were dropping before.

I am hoping this might also insulate against very hot summers heating the water as well, and save my electicity bill somewhat. :D

IMG_4406.jpg

That appears to be sisalation....designed as a moisture barrier(reduce/collect condensation) for use on walls and under tiles

If you were looking to retain heat in the tank....it would work better with the silver facing the water in winter and the other way around in Summer... :ewink:

Ha, thanks Rod. I knew it had a special name but for the life of me I couldn't remember it.

If you think I am going to display the bunnings label on my tanks forget it, lol.

Works just as well the way I have it. :)