kasman

Seeded filter on new tank.

Guys

simple simple question from a newb.

I've just setup my 3rd tank (praise the lord!!) a nice wide 4fter.

Iv put on a seeded hang on filter last weekend which had been on an existing stocked tank for the last 5 months or so.

How long of a wait before I add a few fish ??

Thanks

Matt.

hi Matt,

More than likely your seeded sponge is now not so seeded.

If you did not provide any "food" for the bacteria to feed on, a bacteria die off would/may have occurred.

Thus your filter media carries no/minimum functional bacteria.

hmm. ok.

Iv tried to read as much as I can about cycling on the net. fish or fishless.

Im still a bit confused when it comes seeding and adding bacteria starters.

So i maybe should have thrown a fish in??

There is a pile of b/n crap that ended up in the tank which fell out of the filter when I installed it. Would that have been enough to keep the bacteria alive??

i cycle by adding

cyceld filter

cyceld water from existing tank,s

and vack a dirty tank and throw the poop n food from vacking in aswell

5 days and it's time to change the water with cyceld water from another tank ,, now i useually add a few feeders

wait 24 hours and check the ph & nitrate's are safe good to go :)

this works for me

imo

john

Kasman, people will curse me for this but I allways have more sponge filters in tanks than nessesary & when I want to start a new tank or isolate fish, I just take the seeded filter, fill tank. half tank water & half new water, treat with prime & throw fishies in... Have not lost one fish this way. I also did it with a cannister filter last weekend & all fish are going great. If you dont 'loose' the bacteria in the transfer, maybe by leaving out of water for too long or with out water flow, I cant see why there would be any problems...

so really craigo all you've done is a 50% water change in setting up a new tank. I can see how that works.

I would have used cycled water from a tank, but I had already done my water changes that weekend. So just filled her right up with primed new water. and i have read that bacteria exists in the gravel and filter etc not the water. alot of conflicting info out there on the net.

So I suppose my concern now is have I killed off the bacteria in my filter??

Maybe I just gotta start from scratch.

Just some fill in info - I got this tank and cabinet for free on the weekend, neighbour down the road had it on his footpath with a "free" sign on it. I think my heart skipped a beat lol when I read that.

so anyway thats why my planning was a bit out of shape. Of course I was super keen to get her up and running so that was that.

Craigo and Lil John have hit it on the head, but mate as its to late to start again haha i would be yer getting water from another tank chucking it in there, vacumming an old talk chucking the crud in there and adding some feeders from your LFS, keep an eye on the water paramounts and then clean hte tank ready for new fish, keep the feeders in and then the next day check the paramounts again if all good take feeders out and chuck in new fish

:D

i do the same as craigo, use do a half waterchange on a tank and put the water from there into the new tank, add new water with prime/buffer, add established canister, wait 2 hours check water, if everything looks good i add fish, havent lost any yet :)

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'll do a water change tonight with as much seeded water as I can spare - along with a good helping of b/n crap.

Throw some goldies in I have- they were the first fish I bought a year ago.

If all goes well then maybe in a week or 2 start adding some REAL fish!!

Kurt27 - so Im guessing all is well??

only the other night i setup a new tank, threw on seeded sponges and canister, filled full of new water with prime, and put some new additions straight in!

This is what I did when I moved house.

I didn't have a chance to set up my tanks straight away and had my fish in a large container with their canister filtering their water.

When I got the chance (3days later) I scaped and filled the tank with rainwater added some prime , checked to see if water conditions matched - ph n temp, put the canister on the tank then added my fish.

That was 6 weeks ago now, I haven't lost a fish

Cav

ah cool.

man i do reckon theyre underated. huge in asia. I have a few shubunkin - poor man koi, also qld mans koi.

Cant manage to commit a tank to them though, they been living in a plastic tub for a while lol.

wouldnt mind a ranchu. big fatties!

haha, and i had to google Carassius auratus auratus and what do I find....... good to see your "out of the closet"... lol.

got any pics of em??

Iv got this 4fter i cant decide on what to stock with hey................

dude, go some nice ranchu (Good quality Oranda & Ryukin are nice aswell)...not crap from LFS (you can find the odd gem though)

Brent, Goldenswimmers has gotten me hooked big time! now all american breeders are gone (until my PBass are old enough) & Ranchu are in. everywhere....:D

I havent got any pics yet, I would go out & take some but wifey has camera & is at work....

I will this weekend hey.

haha, oh man hey you know your an idiot and goldies , well they suck!! lol.

srsly one more Q

Iv done a water change now with some existing water from another tank. sucked up some crap off the bottom too. and added a couple of scoria rocks from there aswell.

FIIK mentioned I may have killed any bacteria in the filter??

So should I add a couple of goldies now to give the bacteria some food or let the water sit for a while??

I would, got any prime or stability or that API stress zyme, with all the bacteria in it??

I cant see why you would have lost the bacteria, as you transfered it straight from one tank to another...little baccies keep on doing their job...