post-4393-14711624519277_thumb.jpgmy poor discus is sick.. he is very dull in colour and is always showing his stress lines. I have put him in a seperate tank from the other fish for about a month now and within that month i have done a dose of protozin which has help his gill problem. and Im on the last day of the sterazin which has seemed to do nothing. I have a discus disease book and "according to that" my discus has Hexamita.and his poo's are still in a stringy white line (thats apparently a sign of hexamita) hes also they dull in colour ( another apparent sign of hesamita) and when ever i go up to the tank he swims backwards into a corner ( another sign of hexamita). he never used to do that.

now according to this. he needs to be treated with metronidazole. and to get that I have to take him to the vet and pay big bucks to get this stuff..im a poor uni student lol.

can any1 tell me if this stuff i have read is right? and if my fish actually has hexamita. ?and if so does any1 know where i can get some of this metronidazole from. or if any1 has any I can have?

here are a few pics that may help you

pH= 7

Ammonia=0ppm

Nitrite= 0ppm

Nitrate= 0ppm

water changes are done weekly

thank you

alyce

post-4393-14711624519132_thumb.jpg

Edited by aagroves

for some reason both of my tanks have nitrate as 0ppm. and ive always kept the water quality as best as I can. like i clean my tanks every week and do water changes weekly. i just dont know what is wrong. im pree sure i purchased him sick but i dont know. i just want him better

i have no idea on discus as i dont keep them.......yet :lol: but have some degree of an idea on hex. its stress related. i dont care what anyone says about it it is a naturally occuring flagellate that only becomes a problem when stressed out fish enter the equation. other spp that will commonly get it im my experience are rivulatus, fh, texas etc. you can have a tank full of fish that never show symptoms and just one fish that is prone. a varied diet is helpfull and i find using frozen mixes containing peas,garlic and paprika will aid in lowering the concentration of the flagellates in the bowel. metro can be sourced on australian petlink and possibly on this forum. i usually keep a supply but am out at the moment. effective dosage rates are for water 400mg per 80 litres water and if the fish is still eating it can be added to food at 100mg per 100g of food. frozen bloodworm is a good medium. thaw it out and drain excess water into a cup and add 1/4 of a 400mg tab and mix well. add the bloodworm and stir gently. refreeze and feed over the week. a noticeable improvement should be seen on day 3 of either treatment type (water or food) HTH ;)

yeah my tank has cycled. and ive had this fish for about 3 months now. I have some ebsom salt that i bought for this fish. i added some to the tank but it did nothing.. how do i soak the food in salt? i feed the fish tetra tropical granuals and bloodworms and brine shrimp (both frozen). do i just put some salt in a container and let the fod sit on top for a couple of hrs or so? like how is it done

i have never added epsom to food. i think its best used as a 4hr bath. 1 tablespoon per 20 litres bathed for 4 hrs then returned to tank. can be done daily but in real terms does stress the fish and can prolonge the illness. the fish needs to eat to flush out the hex that is attacking the bowel lining (thats the white stringy mucus coming out the anus) HTH

if thats the case metro is best, however the addition of a small bit of garlic and paprika (mild) will aid in flushing the bowel out. i use a tablespoon of garlic and a teaspoon of paprika to a 500gram mix of frozen food so if adding to say 100grams of bloodworm you would need a very smll amount of each. i would still track down the metro but HTH ;)

a box or bottle on petlink is usually $25.00 for 21 tabs plus postage. its vastly more then you need but perhaps it can be shared round with other forumers (shared cost). i believe there was even some for sale in the classifieds on here a few week back. may be worth the search? HTH :)

For Epsom salt med food you need to make a stock solution of 15g Epsom salt to 500mL distilled water, then slightly saturate the food you are about to feed to the fish.

Tetra bits are easily rolled into a ball when wet and doesn't dissolve too quickly.

Feeding Epsom salts helps to flush out these parasites.

You can use Metronidazole, Dimetridazole or Ronidazole to treat Hexamita and Spironucleus, i would add in combination with an antibiotic like Oxytetracycline.

This disease can be triggered by poor diet like beef heart and poor water and generally a poor immune system, but discus can have poor lateral lines due to poor breeding.