davo

cleaning heavily planted aquariums

Hi, I have a 170lt aquarium with a range of small tetras & other similar size tropicals. I've had success with about 8 plants & some java moss(I think). My question is if I really start to ramp up the plants for the tetras it will make gravel cleaning a real pain so the plants don't get damaged etc. Can water changes be done without cleaning the gravel & disturbing all the plants? ie surface water changes.

cheers Davo

you could always do a slow siphon, which involves a 4-6mm hose and just going close to the substrate sucking just the crap up. It wont get enough pressure to pull out plants and heavy substrates. you may loose a little sand and it is slow but it can be done. this is how i do it.

yeah really important to suck up dead plant/ fish waste etc from substrate still. good advice from brockssracer with the 6mm hose. if it sits a base of plant (planted stem plant) you shouldn't have any problem going around but in my dwarf hair grass its really important because the plant wilts and dies. more time consuming but your plants will be happier.