chooka

I never thought this would happen

Okay so I never thought I'd be saying this but my Americans have cross bred. Just to make things clear I never intended for this to happen.

I have two breeding pairs amongst other fish in the tank.

A breeding pair of gold edge rivulatus and a breeding pair of blue acara (Orange edge)

The problem is that the male riv has recently being chasing around the female acara and shimmering when near her. I wasn't to worried about this as I think the riv has a few loose screws lol (he chases me around the tank) But as of this morning it seems the two of them have got it on. She laid eggs on top of a bristlenose cave and I watched the process done by both of them. He fertilized the eggs while I closely watched.

I wasn't sure that he would have fertilized the eggs because his girlfriend laid eggs a few weeks back and they wernt fertilized by him. A side note the acara were added a couple of weeks later.

What I'm wondering is if I get any fry what should I do with them. I know I shouldn't sell them. But I'm not upto the task of culling them. I might keep a few as I'm very intrigued as to what they would look like.

Would love some answers on what people think they would look like. And what I should do with the fry. Cheers

If you cant cull them when small........ I doubt you will be able to do so when they are big.

WHile I see no harm in you keeping them for your tanks.... the pressure is on you to do the right thing.

Do not let them get out and do damage to either acara or riv bloodlines.

Ensure that never happens and its all sweet.

I definitely do not plan on selling them. Maybe as feeders or something. Any ideas on what they would look like dff. Im sure I could cull them but I would prefer not to cull any fish unless they were deformed.

My mates red zebras x bred with hongi there about 1-2 inch and look like DFF "s avatar at the moment haha

They will definitely not be sold, and will be destroyed when the interest is lost it them.

I think it will be good to see what they look like

As to you grow them see what they look like but also take into consideration do what DFF said

:D

Don't be to upset, if you were left in a room with lots of foreign women, there would be one you would like to mate with after time. If you don't like the kids put them through the blender and feed em back to mum and dad. Don't mention flower horn or discus, very cross bred and in bred, just like the people from...... I'll leave that for you to decide.