edenholly

Aquarium safe lubricant?

Hi guys, I guess this is probably a stupid newbie question but I am new to fish keeping.

I recently got a canister filter for my tank and as anyone with one knows, they generally suggest lubricating the o-ring with an aquarium-safe lubricant. What do you guys use on yours? I'd have no idea where to start.

Thanks for your help!

good old vaseline is fine

obviously don't have big gloopy chunks of it floating around but it is basically harmless

you can actually eat a tablespoon a day for good old regularity (some american dude claims its his elixir of health)

not the greatest advice given there!

vaseline is a petroleum based product!

petroleum and rubber dont go together very well!

it will degrade the rubber o-ring and eventually cause it to leak...

I ran a sacem marathon 2000 canister for over 5 years never used a lube and never had a leak, and any one that has owned a sacem will no how much of a PITA the oring is on them, anyways, a little bit of water and some patience is all thats needed.

If you really want to use a lube, there is a Non Toxic water proof lubricant called 'fix-a-tap' I'm pretty sure its silicone based and not petroleum based as it is used around rubber orings and seals on tap bodies, dont quote me though..... maybe a few bucks from bunnings,

says its non toxic and would have to be to be used in taps for drinking water, small yellow tube if you go looking for it.

fixatap waterproof tap lubricant

not the greatest advice given there!

vaseline is a petroleum based product!

petroleum and rubber dont go together very well!

it will degrade the rubber o-ring and eventually cause it to leak...[/url]

Agree with Ash do not use vas it will swell the orings. Seen it many times in my industry and the components lock together and cant move.

We use a true silicone grease from RS that may be safe, don't really know but it doesn't swell the orings. The fix a tap stuff may be the go if its safe for drinking water.