028NVD

urgent help with eheim 2226

hi all, so i realised its been a while since i cleaned my eheim 2226, put it all back together, opened the taps and let it fill with the tank water, plugged it in and its not workin. it just sounds like its got marbles rolling around in the motor/pump, its never had a problem before and i've checked on eheim manual that i put it back together right ( the "in" hole lines up with the tubing that goes to the bottom of the filter) i now have no filter running on the tank and am all out of ideas, any help appreciated :)

i had the same problem with my aqua one, try put a hose on the intake and turn the pump on, turn the garden hose on and force it through, you dont need much pressure from the hose for it to work. It will purge the air out. fixed it for me twice :)

sometimes its an air pocket in the top of the filter., you may have to take the top of the filter off, make sure it is full to the brim, place the top back on, turn on and see if it works, if not you may have to put some water back down the outlet hose to fill that air pocket. fill most of the outlet hose and try turning it back on then...

as i said before its an air pocket just purge it through with the garden hose, if thats not available then improvise somehow lololol.

NOTE: make sure pumps turned on when purging.

dont purge it with a garden hose, the chlorine will kill your bacteria!!!!!!

UNLESS your hose is running on a rainwater system.

Edited by brockssracer

ok guys, now i filled it up so when i put the top on water spills over so its FULL! now it will start to pump while making a fizzing noise, blows a few bubbles out the spray bar and pumps for a few seconds then stops pumping and continues being noisy, uuuggghhh so over this filter right now!

sounds like air built up around impeler

grab a bucket put the return line in the bucket lower than the top of the canister this should help syphen turn on fill bucket

should work

turning it on then off every few seconds seems to have helping purging the air out, after about 15 times its now working again. there is no way i can purge it with a hose or whatever as the filter is just above carpet, and if done outside i'll get covered un crap (not going to happen). last time i'll buy one of these, i'll get something with a primer next time!

check the impeller shaft and the impeller for signs of wear.

if you got a spare powerhead sometimes you can use it to force water into the inlet of the canister from inside the tank, which in turn will get an air pocket out, which being noisy it sounds like it still has one. otherwise you may be able to "pump" the flexible hose on the inlet .....