chels1289

Tankmates for Jack Dempsey?

I've got a female jack dempsey about 8-9cm in a three foot tank (160 litres)

I know this tank is too small for her in the long run.

But she is only in there temporarily then she'll be going into my four footer.

So what might be good to put in with her for now?

Thanks

iv got my pair in a 3 ft tank my male is a monster he is almost 20cm and his female is about 14-15cm and they have breed for me before in a 3ft and they have lots of tank makes like: severums, pink convicts, almost a colony of blue peacock cichlids and bristlenose catfish but mine are very friendly. So basiclly what im trying to say is that jack dempseys can be tank mates with anything that they cant fit in there mouth :D

Wow you've got all that in a three foot!?

That's unbelievable. You must do a lot of water changes and have an amazing filter :)

I'm thinking of a couple of firemouths....

I'd get a some of convicts but I don't want them to start breeding haha.

Jd's are pretty timid, so you can put most things in with them. Before i got rid of mine, i had him in with a polleni, festae, super green texas.... point is he was in with aggressive americans and he had no troubles. They keep to themselves...

chels1289 my convicts have only breed once in 3mths but my jd's ate them all any ways and stated breeding a 3 days after lol. i havent got those fish in a tank any more i have soead them around in my other tanks lol and sold some :C. firemouths would be good they are very timid and dont attack anything iv had them as well but my blue peacock killed or 3 of them wasnt very happy tho lol

It has to depend on the fish, I have two JD's in a 3ft and they breed, I also have two oscars that are larger than the JD's and they belted them up big time. I had to seperate them so with saying they are friendly can only depend on the single fish. Mine are okay in another tank I have them in before I sell them and theres small tetra's, angel fish and gourami's in there but since they have not laid eggs again (yet) they will not attack the other fish. My fish are evil when its breeding time. So keep in mind that if you decide to breed that there is a chance you will need to put them in a tank on their own.

Chels,

above is correct. the JD's can play nice but are known for a temper if their "home" is invaded, your's are still quite small and my not get too aggressive if brought up with others.

Final word but to have good and hassel free breeding keep your pair on their own.

Have you had the two together again or are they still apart

Ben

Hey ben,

Yeah I will always be keeping the pair on their own. But at the moment the split jd is in the 3 foot tank with some yabbies and bristlenose.

It's really just a spare tank so she's good in their for the min.

I haven't put them back together yet.

He's been growing a bit lately so I'm gonna keep them separate for maybe another month or two and see how they go then.