discus_noob

Wild cichlids in Hazelwood Pondage

Hi guys,

Some of you may have heard of this but some will find it interesting. The pondage is basically a cooling water for a power station so all year round the water is about 27 degrees.

Now because of these conditions it is also prime realestate for some african and also big american cichlids with people catching fish ranging from OB peacocks, red devils, convicts, Tilapia mariae and MANY MANY MORE....

Here is a video of one person's success;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxUudrG00bk

and some articles showing the fish;

AnglingVictoria.com-Victorian Fishing Forum • View topic - Hazelwood Pondage

AquariumsDownUnder • Australian Aquarium Forum • View topic - id red devils? (good photos on this one including a nice african example haha)

wild cichlid fishing trip in aus!!!!!!!!

wild cichlid fishing trip in aus!!!!!!!! (pictures on second page)

and here;

Hazelwood Pondage in Cichlids Forum (with someone commenting on discus and catfish in there hahaha thatd be the day!!!)

http://auscichlids.com/forum/index.php?topic=3522.0 (good find of fish).

I really want to go down there to see this! Anyone on here live near there? Do some fishing and post some pics? :) It is such a shame they are destroying the environment.

Also seems pretty bloody common practice that aquarium fish are dumped into the waterways with the likes of geophagus brasiliensis in the waters of the sunshine coast. What is next? Fronnies or discus and angelfish?

Adam

Edited by discus_noob

yeh its a shame.

do you know any close to strathpine ben ?

None local like this that I know of. This topic came up on another forum a few years ago so I can't remember. Lol

I've even heard of these fish making it on to whole sale list, " W/c red devil (hazelwood)"

I have been to this place many times - it is indeed the cooling water for the hazelwood power generation facility in Latrobe Valley in eastern Victoria - the cichlids down there are somewhat of a local legend.

yeh its a shame.

do you know any close to strathpine ben ?

northpine dam has quantities of brasiliensis and what i believe to be synspilum x blackbelt (well a vieja hybrid of sorts anyway) and hinze dam has quantities of red devils,trimacs and burtoni from all reports HTH :)

thanks for taking the time to put that together discus_noob, a great read. now i know why there stopping the imports of african cichlids. a shame that people just go and ruin it for everyone else.